cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Download Manager Can Not Save Local Settings !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

I have installed SAP Download Manager several times on NT, XP and Vista Platforms of Windows + Several Flavors of Linux. But, this time on Windows Vista Platform even though I have ADMIN Privileges , I get this annoying and ' draining ' error :

" An Error Occurred While Trying to Save Your Local Settings !

What Can you do ?

The Local Settings file might be unaccessible or locked by another processes.

Try Again Later. If the Problem Persists, contact your System Administrator. "

Exception : java.io.FileNotFoundException

Exception Message : C:\Users\Administrator\dlgmanager.config ( Access Is Denied )

Java Version : 1.6.0_21

Java Vendor : Sun Microsystems Inc.

Operating System : Windows Vista

Operating Systems Version : 6.0

Operating System Architecture : x86

Virtual Machine Name : Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

Virtual Machine Version : 17.0-b 17

Virtual Machine Vendor : Sun Microsystems Inc.

"

At the status bar of  of Download Manager i.e. at bottom , I see the message :

" Unable to save local file info , the store file could not be found " - which is obvious as some permission is blocking to access this local file !

Even though I am pointing to H: Drive for some unknown reason it is going by default to C:\Users\Adminstrator whereas it should be checking to

H: Drive as I have pointed my download store under H: Drive or at the least should be checking C:\Users\<My ID> for rights, as I am logged in through my

own Id on this laptop and admin privileges are already granted !!

May be the attached Word Doc with Screen Print may help further to understand this weird error !!

Clearly this is access issue but, the local help desk of client have said " Hands Off "  - its not Permissions Issue as Admin Privileges already granted.

I checked the Permissions for  My Id i.e. 

My Computer > Right Click > Properties > Security Tab > <My Id >  > It is Showing " Allowed "  for

Full Control

Modify

Read & execute

Read

Write

-------------------------- This tells me that My Id on this Laptop does have enough permissions to install this small piece of sw and move on with my

project which is race against time ......but that is not the case here !!

--- I wonder what exactly is missing here to install something as simple sw as Download Manager which normally is task of 10 minutes but, is stuck

in this case despite visibly all the possible permissions are already granted to my ID ! And draining me !

--- Is there some hidden group level permissions needed here which I am not able to check as I have only local admin privilege and can't go beyond that

to check what is inherited permissions for my Id !??!

I spent fare share of time and effort to fix this on my own and from the forum itself found ( http://scn.sap.com/thread/2066087 ) some solution i.e.

From DOS run the command  " attrib /S -H " which will not help me here as I get ' Access Denied " Message for C: Drive for which the above message is -

which is normal in consulting work > where Client will not grant all the possible permissions under the sun to consultant !!.

I wish SAP would have provided more granular os level requirements rather than very obvious high level requirements for Download Manger !

Can't believe that something as simple as downloading sap sw ( even after configuring MOPZ and everything else under the sun  !) could be so

miserable and annoying and draining experience !!

Plz. Share your knowledge / inputs so that I can get out of this stalemate !!

Thanks In Advance for your time and inputs,

Rgds,

- Ishan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see this isn't resolved yet but there is some good info that helped me solve my problem. in the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP Download Manager

edit the SAP Download Manager.lax file adding the following line to the bottom:

user.home=C:\\Users\\<local userID>

where <local userID> is the user you're logged in as. Restart the DL Manager and it works

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If C:\Users\Administrator\dlgmanager.config already exists? Try to delete this file and retry.

Regards

Roman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ishan,

The Download manager application is trying to create or modify

dlgmanager.config file and looks like it is not authorized to do so.

Go to Download Manager -> Help -> About... and select System

Information tab. Scroll down to user.home name and check the value.

Your Download manager (JRE) is not able to create or modify the above

file at this particular location due to restictions within your company.

Regards,

Vipin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vipin,

Yes, this specific attribute i.e. user.home > C:\users\Administrator  is the main culprit.

Q is : Is there a way to modify this ?

As a temporary workaround I had to download entire Sp Stack on my personal laptop > copy it to

Flash Drive > Copy it to Client Laptop > FTP to Server ...no wonder, in this process some files

are corrupted and I ended up spending another hour to identify the corrupted files, download again

and again do this transfer to Unix Server !!

Major Chunk of  work in SAP is being done by Consultants and I wish SAP can pay more

attention

to these issues and provide a clear choice right at the time of installation of download manager

that which would be user.home rather than absurd and annoying default value right under C: drive

!!

Thanks,

Rgds,

- Rupen