cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue in SAP Netweaver unattended installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I am facing issue while performing  unattended installation for SAP NetWeaver 7.3. Below is the error message....

I guess SAP silent installation is not taking the path of kernel module from start_dir.cd file.  If you have any sample start_dir.cd developed for  another application , please share the file idea with me .

Kindly share your thoughts to solve the issue. Thanks in Advance.

I have tried the following :

1. 1.       Updated start_dir.cd file with Kernel path.
  2. 2.       Checked inifile.xml .

Please let me know if you need any other information .

ERROR Message: 2012-09-08 03:58:46.570 [cdxxccdcli.cpp:118]

FCO-00152 An empty package path was returned by the CD server.(Requested package : KERNEL ) In case of running with option SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true you should run the service again without that option and you will be asked about the missing package location. If you want to automate the installation make the package location visible to the SAPinst ( modify start_dir.cd or LABELIDX.ASC)

ERROR 2012-09-08 03:58:46.570

CJSlibModule::writeError_impl()

MUT-03025 Caught ESAPinstException in module call: controller.packagePathEmpty.

ERROR 2012-09-08 03:58:46.586 [sixxcstepexecute.cpp:937]

FCO-00011 The step prepare with step key |NW_Webdispatcher|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|system|0|NW_SAPHostAgent|ind|ind|ind|ind|hostagent|0|prepare was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by the step: An empty package path was returned by the CD server.(Requested package : KERNEL ) In case of running with option SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true you should run the service again without that option and you will be asked about the missing package location. If you want to automate the installation make the package location visible to the SAPinst ( modify start_dir.cd or LABELIDX.ASC)).

INFO 2012-09-08 03:58:46.664 [synxcpath.cpp:814]

CSyPath::createFile() lib=syslib module=syslib

Creating file C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir\NW703\STANDALONE\AS\WI\__instana_tmp.xml.

WARNING 2012-09-08 03:58:46.898 [iaxxejshlp.cpp:150]

Could not get property IDs of the JavaScript object.

ERROR 2012-09-08 03:58:46.898 [iaxxejsctl.cpp:367]

FJS-00010 Could not get value for property .

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

sisa4ss
Explorer
0 Kudos

HI,

I also faced the same issue during S/4 hana on-premises installation in unattended mode. And by issue is fixed now with below steps.

Error:

ERROR      2014-12-19 00:24:14.654 [ccdclient.cpp:101]

CCdClient::getLocation()

FCO-00152  Empty package path. DIAGNOSIS: An empty package path was returned by the media server.(Requested package : UKERNEL ) SOLUTION: If software provisioning manager is running with option SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true, run the service again without that option and you will be asked about the missing package location. If you want to automate the installation, make the package location visible to software provisioning manager ( modify start_dir.cd or LABELIDX.ASC).

SOLUTION:

I resolved the error by following the steps below

Step1:  

Create a directory for inifile.xml

mkdir -p /unattended/common

Step2:

Save the following files in /unattended/common directory

- inifile.xml

- keydb.dtd

- doc.dtd

Step3:

Create a separate directory for start_dir.cd

mkdir -p /unattended/install

Step4:

Create a file named start_dir.cd and in it enter the paths to all installation DVDs required for your unattended installation.

cd /unattended/install

ls -lrt

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 331 Apr  8 08:37 start_dir.cd

STEP5:

Give permissions and change group to sapinst which is very important for unattended mode installations.

chmod -R 775 /unattended

STEP6:

chgrp -R sapinst /unattended/common

chgrp -R sapinst /unattned/install

Example: ls -lrt

drwxrwxr-x 2 root sapinst  74 Apr  8 08:39 common

drwxrwxr-x 8 root sapinst 8192 Apr  8 08:59 install

FINALY STEP:

Goto or be in /unattended/install directory where your start_dir.cd is present and start installation with sapinst same as below command

/usr/sap/on_premise_1511/SWPM_S4HANA/sapinst SAPINST_PARAMETER_CONTAINER_URL=/unattended/common/inifile.xml SAPINST_EXECUTE_PRODUCT_ID=NW_ABAP_OneHost:S4HANAONPREM1511.CORE.HDB.ABAP SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true -nogui -noguiserver

Note:

from above command by sapinst installation DVD is present in

/usr/sap/on_premise_1511/SWPM_S4HANA/   so I started sapinst with whole DVD path with out changing current working directory from /unattended/install.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Thank you Dax!

I was facing the same issue under Windows

The Solution for me was to write the Path with "/" instead of "\"

Like this:

X:/install/kernel

And I have to use the Parameter SAPINST_CWD, with the start_dir.cd located. So my command looks like this:

sapinst.exe SAPINST_PARAMETER_CONTAINER_URL=C:\install\inifile.xml SAPINST_CWD=C:\work SAPINST_EXECUTE_PRODUCT_ID=N"Product_ID" SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true -nogui -noguiserver

For some reason SWPM overwrites my start_dir.cd file with just one line, that points to the SWPM directory.

Regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

How were you able to overcome the issue with start_dir.cd file issue. I have placed the start_dir.cd file in the folder where my sapinst is located (S:\SWPM) but when i run the install command the start_dir.cd file is getting generated with in the C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir\NW730\MSS\INSTALL\STD\ABAP with just one line that is pointing to SWPM directory.

Install fails with error that it could not find kernel directory

Error:

ERROR      2014-12-19 00:24:14.654 [ccdclient.cpp:101]

CCdClient::getLocation()

FCO-00152  Empty package path. DIAGNOSIS: An empty package path was returned by the media server.(Requested package : UKERNEL ) SOLUTION: If software provisioning manager is running with option SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true, run the service again without that option and you will be asked about the missing package location. If you want to automate the installation, make the package location visible to software provisioning manager ( modify start_dir.cd or LABELIDX.ASC).

ERROR      2014-12-19 00:24:14.655

MUT-03025  Caught ESAPinstException in module call: controller.packagePathEmpty.

Command:

L:\SWPM>L:\SWPM\sapinst.exe SAPINST_PARAMETER_CONTAINER_URL="L:\SWPM\sapcustomin

stall\inifile.xml" SAPINST_CWD=L:\SWPM SAPINST_EXECUTE_PRODUCT_ID=NW_ABAP_OneHos

t:NW730.MSS.PI SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true -nogui -noguiserver

Any suggestions to solve the issue?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

I hope my answer is not too late. I have solved this problem. I have requested SAP to update the SAP note with my findings but maybe it will be better if I post it here now.

1. If you are installing on Unix/Linux, make sure that the paths do not stop at the first LABEL.ASC that you see. The path will have to be specific to the OS, if applicable.

for example:

The kernel DVD is in /installer/kernel. Check this folder if you can see something OS specific such as /installer/kernel/DATA_UNITS/K_743_U_LINUX_X86_64/ LABEL.ASC. Then the entry in start_dir.cd has to be

/installer/kernel/DATA_UNITS/K_743_U_LINUX_X86_64/

and not just /installer/kernel/

(This is actually implicitly stated in the SAP note)

2. DO NOT  save all the files generated in your SAPINST_CWD folder as was written in the note..

Sapinst creates a blank inifile.xml on the working directory for which it will copy the contents of the custom inifile.xml you created. If this file is saved in the same folder, the custom file is

OVERWRITTEN by the blank inifile.xml before the processing even takes place. so by the time that the installation is started, the inifile is already blank and will show an error. As for the start_dir.cd however, sapinst is looking for it in the installation directory, and not on the same path as the inifile.xml. Otherwise, it will create a start_dir.cd that only has the one entry,

and that is the SWPM path.

Save the start_dir.cd in your  SAPINST_CWD folder but SAVE the inifile.xml,keydb.dtd,doc.dtd.and keydb.xsl together on A SUBFOLDER under your sapinstdir,  What i did with mine is

/ SAPINST_CWD/start_dir.cd

/ SAPINST_CWD/customini/inifile.xml

/ SAPINST_CWD/customini/keydb.dtd

/ SAPINST_CWD/customini/doc.dtd

/ SAPINST_CWD/customini/keydb.xsl

remember to update your sapinst command with the new paths.

If my SAPINST_CWD is /installer/silent the command for installing NW 7.1 CI would then be

./sapinst SAPINST_PARAMETER_CONTAINER_URL=”/installer/silent/customini/inifile.xml” SAPINST_CWD=”/installer/silent” SAPINST_EXECUTE_PRODUCT_ID=NW_Onehost: NW_ABAP_OneHost:NW740SR1.ORA.PI SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true –nogui -noguiserver

Hope this helps.

Dax

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

please share some lights on this issue please....

Share your thoughts , what might be the issue  / solution for this ...

Regards,

Manoj .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are having the same issue.

Could someone please advice us?

Thx

Greetings

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kindly find the solution below...

While doing Silent installation of SAP_Netweaver 7.3 a got the above error Message,Kernalfile is missing

Solution:-

Copy and paste NWABAPTRIAL70304_64\SAP_Kernel_720_EXT_731_for_X86_64\DATA_UNITS\K_720_U_WINDOWS_X86_64\DBINDEP

Folder to NWABAPTRIAL70304_64\SAP_Kernel_720_EXT_731_for_X86_64\DATA_UNITS\K_720_N_WINDOWS_X86_64\DBINDEP

Please let us know if you need any other info, THanks...

THanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thx for the reply,

tried your solution, with no success,

here ist the log:

ERROR      2013-08-21 11:04:34.548 [cdxxccdcli.cpp:88]

FCO-00152  An empty package path was returned by the CD server.(Requested package : UKERNEL ) In case of running with option SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true you should run the service again without that option and you will be asked about the missing package location. If you want to automate the installation make the package location visible to the SAPinst ( modify start_dir.cd or LABELIDX.ASC)

ERROR      2013-08-21 11:04:34.549

MUT-03025  Caught ESAPinstException in module call: controller.packagePathEmpty.

ERROR      2013-08-21 11:04:34.693 [sixxcstepexecute.cpp:916]

FCO-00011  The step prepareKernelRelease with step key |NW_DI|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|PrerequisiteCheckerDialogs|ind|ind|ind|ind|prc|0|prepareKernelRelease was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by the step: An empty package path was returned by the CD server.(Requested package : UKERNEL ) In case of running with option SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=true you should run the service again without that option and you will be asked about the missing package location. If you want to automate the installation make the package location visible to the SAPinst ( modify start_dir.cd or LABELIDX.ASC)).

INFO       2013-08-21 11:04:34.875 [syuxcpath.cpp:455]

Creating file /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/__instana_tmp.xml.

WARNING    2013-08-21 11:04:36.521 [iaxxejshlp.cpp:129]

Could not get property IDs of the JavaScript object.

ERROR      2013-08-21 11:04:36.521 [iaxxejsctl.cpp:287]

FJS-00010  Could not get value for property .

INFO       2013-08-21 11:04:36.865 [syuxcpath.cpp:455]

Creating file /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/listOfSupportFilesToBePacked.lst.

a /root/.sdtgui/.sdt_keystore_nw2007

a /tmp/sapinst_exe.11508.1377075809/dev_selfex.out

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/SECINSTTOOLS.log

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/control.xml

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/controllerKdbClient.dmp

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/instana.xsl

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/keydb.xml

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/sapinst.log

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/sapinst_dev.log

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/sapinst_loginquirer.log

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/start_dir.cd

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/stepKeydbClient.dmp

a /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI/syslib_priv.log

INFO       2013-08-21 11:04:37.311 [syuxccuren.cpp:545]

CSyCurrentProcessEnvironmentImpl::setWorkingDirectory(const CSyPath& /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI)

lib=syslib module=syslib

Working directory changed to /tmp/sapinst_instdir/NW700/LM/AS/ORA/DI.

################################################

Abort execution because of

Step returns modlib.jslib.caughtException

##############################################

INFO       2013-08-21 11:04:37.325 [syuxcpath.cpp:455]

Creating file /tmp/sapinst_instdir/.lastInstallationLocation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we managed to get past this error.

SOLUTION:

We Copied the Kernel DVD(DATA_UNITS) and the Oracle Client content to the SWPM(sapinst) directory and edited the LABELIDX.ASC(inserted the Kernel folders and Oracle Client)

Its working fine now.

Thx

AK31
Participant
0 Kudos

Your tip helped me. Thanks...