Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Dependency Vs Local Dependency

former_member209175
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

I am creating the dependency in CU01. The dependency which is created in CU01 will be always global dependency?

In what transaction the local dependency to be created?

What is the difference between global dependency and local dependency?

In SAP system, do we have any indicator to differentiate between local and global dependencies?

In what situation we will create the global dependency?

Can you anyone please explain me with some practical example?

thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

krishna_chandra5
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my knowledge, the difference is as follows

1. If the same dependency is assigned to many objects, it is called as Global dependency and it cannot be changed locally(wherever it is assigned). You have to change in CU02 only which will effect globally (all locations wherever it is used). Global dependency is created in CU01 and assigned whenever required.
  2. If the object dependency is assigned to only one object, it is called as local dependency and it can be changed locally (wherever it is assigned).

In CU05 you can find whether it is a local or global dependency by checking the where used list. If it is assigned to 1 object it is local and if assigned to multiple objects it is global.

Experts please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards,

Krishna Chandra

former_member209175
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

I have understood the below about the local dependency and global dependency.

1. For local dependency, the number range is internal. We can not assign the external numbering for local dependency. And also we can not edit the local dependency in Cu02 transaction. For example, i have created the local dependency in CT04 (Top Menu: Extras--->Object dependencies--->Editior). The internal number assigned to this local dependency is 00000150. I can not edit this local dependency 00000150 in CU02. CU01 and CU02 is always for global dependency creation and change.

2. For global dependency, the number range is external. The user can enter number (alpha or alpha numeric and NOT only with numeric) while creating the global dependency in CU01.

So the best way to differentiate between global and local dependency is through number range. If the number range only numeric, it will be always local dependency. If the number range is alpha or alpha-numeric, it will be always global dependency.  Am i right?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario 1:

Step 1:

I have created the global dependency (dependency type "Prodecure") in CU01 namely "TEST" as below.

$SELF.WHEEL_TYPE = 'O' IF BRACE_TYPE = 'L'.

Step 2:

I have assigned this above global dependency 'TEST" in CU42 transaction (Top Menu: Extras--->Object dependencies--->Assignments).

Step 3:

Now i am executing the transaction CU50, to simulate my scenario. It is working fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above scenario is working fine, if i create the "Procedure" as global dependency. But the same procedure is NOT working, if i work with local dependency.

Scenario 2:

Step A:

Now i have deleted the above said global dependency "TEST" in CU42.

Step B:

Goto transaction CT04 (Change Characteristics). Enter the Characteristics "WHEEL_TYPE" and go the tab "Values" and choose the characteristics value "O".

Step C:

Create the local dependency of type procedure (Top Menu: Extras--->Object dependencies--->Editior) as below:

$SELF.WHEEL_TYPE = 'O' IF BRACE_TYPE = 'L'

I have checked the syntex error. and there is no syntax error also.

Step 😧

Go to t.code CU50 and if i simulate, the char.value "O" is not getting picked automatically by the system if the char.value "L" for the char "BRACE_TYPE" is provided. But the same case is working, if i create this dependency as global.

Can you please help why this behavior difference between global dependency and local dependency?

thanks

krishna_chandra5
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my understanding, procedure is written when you want to change the quantity in the super BOM or super routing based on the characteristic value selected. But you are linking one characteristic with the other using procedure and still the system is not giving the syntax error.

I will explain you with an example.

According the below syntax,

The quantity of a particular material in the BOM should be taken as '2' and operation time of the 0010 operation should be taken as '17' when the characteristic value selected is white. If you want to make the values default based on selected values you have to use the 3rd syntax i.e default option.

What you have said may be correct but slightly confusing.

The above are some types of syntax for procedures, can you please explain which type of syntax you are using.

Regards,

Krishna Chandra

former_member209175
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

I have written the procedure code as "$SELF.WHEEL_TYPE = 'O' IF BRACE_TYPE = 'L'". This is similar to your first two lines of dependency code.

But my question is:

If i create the dependency "$SELF.WHEEL_TYPE = 'O' IF BRACE_TYPE = 'L'' as global dependency and if i assign this dependency in CU42, it is working.

But if create the same dependency as local, it is not working. Why?

Thanks

krishna_chandra5
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please send me the global dependency syntax screenshot along with no syntax error screen. This is just for understanding the syntax.

Regards,

Krishna Chandra

former_member209175
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Please find the screen shot of global dependency below. If i delete this global dependency and if i create the same dependency as local dependency it is NOT working. Why?

thanks

former_member186193
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Global dependencies:

You create global dependencies independently of any specific object.

You can then link the global dependency to any characteristic or characteristic value.

You assign an external name to identify a global dependency.

Global dependencies are maintained and managed centrally. Changes to a global dependency affect the dependency wherever it is used.

local dependencies:

You create local dependencies for a specific characteristic or characteristic value.

You can only use a local dependency for the object for which it is created.

The system assigns an internal name to identify a local dependency.

Also check the link below:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1207918

Regards,

Alok Tiwari