Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall we directly launch WDA in PRD?

former_member194142
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

Ours is a small company, we are new to WDA, SSO-Single Sign On. We started a small application with some fixed budget. Application has SAP workflows, outlook email notification approvals, well.

Our plan was launch the WDA application in SAP Portal with SSO for users in PRD by creating iViews

But, we are struggling with integrating WDA to SAP Portal (intranet) by considering SSO and end up in almost exahusted budgets, for some reasons, we need to get the application into PRD ASAP. (we dont hv expertise in Portal, SSO)

Hence we are thinking let the WDA application launch directly in the IE browser (intranet) for users usage in PRD, meaning, not bringing SAP Portal, SSO into picture at all, just ignoring that Portal and SSO space for our application

We will provide a WDA URL to the users and asks them to launch the WDA in browser directly and same case (including the WDA URLs) with for approvers in their workflow email notifications, the WDA URL looks like below

http://knfdevc1.ca.ent.com//sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/zrequestwd?iv_req_nr=0231&iv_type=3&sap-language=EN

Pls. let us know (we are maintaining valid user IDs in a custom table and we are validating the logged in user IDs with custom tbl entries)

1) Is it a safe approach or any danger?

2) If so, any precautions, tips, suggestions pls?

3) Or each and every WDA must launch/use Portal?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amy_king
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

My company made this same choice. Not wanting to implement and support the SAP portal, we have rolled out a handful of Web Dynpro ABAP applications as standalone applications that are accessed simply via URL. Not having implemented the portal, I can't speak to what benefits you may be missing out on (or not), but we've had no problems proceeding this way.

You can control how users login and logoff of the standalone WDA applications with transaction SICF.

We have created URL aliases for our applications on our servers so that users may type in a short "nickname" for an application rather than have to type in the fully qualified URL, and we also provide a static web page where users may launch the various applications.

If your company chooses later to implement the portal, there may be some minor additional work to incorporate the standalone applications into the portal framework, for example, having to rethink  login/logoff for the applications since those steps would be handled by the portal.

Cheers,

Amy

former_member194142
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Amy for the answer in detail.

1)

You can control how users login and logoff of the standalone WDA applications with transaction SICF.

You mean, like the below wht mentioned by Jason?

http://scn.sap.com/community/web-dynpro-abap/blog/2012/07/24/changing-the-default-wd-abap-error-page

or do we have a simpler way, bcz i am feeling the above suggestion is complicated

2)

We have created URL aliases for our applications on our servers so that users may type in a short "nickname"

is this job by BASIS folks has to do? or a WDA developer, if so, pls. give me some inputs pls?

3)

provide a static web page where users may launch the various applications.

Pls. also provide some information on this

4) If its WDA URLs launching, then our URLs are containing/passing some parameters (for example Request, Process type as shown in the URL of my original posting), as we knew these parameters are human readable and changeable directly by users, hence i want ENCRYPT it or encrypting complete URL itself together with the parameters, so to achive this task we have any option in SAP? if so, pls. suggest me

Thank you again

amy_king
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

(1) The blog by Jason Scott is one approach. We use a simpler approach to login and logoff.

Under SICF > Logon Data tab, we have selected Alternative Logon Procedure and have deleted all procedure options except for Logon Through HTTP Fields. This forces the user to logon each time they access the WDA.

Under SICF > Error Pages > Logon Errors, we use System Logon and have developed a custom ABAP class to use for Logon Layout and Procedure-- just to give the logon template a company-branded look and feel.

Under SICF > Logoff Page, we simply use Redirect to URL so that users are redirected to a specific web page upon logoff from an application.

(2) The URL aliases for our applications are created and managed by our web server team. If your company has a team that administers the company's web site, you can ask them to create the aliases.

(3) The static landing page is also created and maintained by our web server team. It's just a web page within our company's domain where users can go to launch the various web applications, some of which are WDA.

(4) For our WDA applications which accept URL parameters, we pass the parameters as clear-text so I can't speak to how to go about encrypting the URL. Perhaps there is information available if you searched SCN or created a separate discussion about encryption.

Cheers,

Amy

former_member194142
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you.

When you get a chance, pls. check my question,

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3243048

Its title is

Message is wake, not telling specifically which field's data is causing issue?

because, SAP is not throwing a wake message

Thank you

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member194142
Participant
0 Kudos

Any help pls?

Thank you