cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My client is having JMS server and they want to interact with SAP ECC through PI. PI is having JMS adapter so we can use it.

But my client can also generates the XML file and can directly delivers the same to PI. So wanted to know the best approach to go forward should i opt for normal File adapter scenario or configure JMS adapter for this scenario??

Which option is the best one to use (in terms of performance/stability etc)

Thanks!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasant,

Your customer can store xml messages  in jms server and using JMS adapter you can read those messages.This case one standard design works for you.(JMS server supports strong of xml/text messages and JMS adapter supports reading of both the messages)

If your customer looking for other solution then think about File Adapter or if he is ready send requent in web service format then go for SOAP.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

My customer is willing to use JMS but they can use File also if i can provide them with some valid inputs.

Looking for the best practice and why we opt for JMS ?

Thanks!!

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i would go for FTP because we can archive messages once File adapter process and i dont think there is an y such functionality in JMS adapter.

Performance point of view i dont think any major difference both the adapters are part of JAVA stack .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

So this is the only point which favours File adapter?

Thanks!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vasant,

Some questions to ask yourself because Websphere is not only capable of JMS & File communication...and because we have no business requirement context from your side...

- First qualify whether you require synchronous or asynchronous communication?
- What kind of data is being transmitted? Business critical transactional data, not critical / transactional etc.? If it's transactional, one normally opts for async reliable guaranteed delivery.
- What quality of service is required from your client (Best effort, exactly once, exactly once in order)?
- What does Websphere expect in return (i.e. response, transport ack etc.)
- If Websphere expects a response, should it be immediate or is a delayed response with correlation acceptable?
- If the response expected is immediate (i.e. sync), what happens if the call fails? Would the sending systems be able to trigger the message again?

These are some questions...and it will bring you a little closer to an answer but the most important question you should ask is:

What is the best solution for your client that is reliable, has easy monitoring, has good error handling options, is secure and can provide a full end-to-end audit trail for query resolution?

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

- First qualify whether you require synchronous or asynchronous communication?

>>It's asynchronous communication

- What kind of data is being transmitted? Business critical transactional data, not critical / transactional etc.? If it's transactional, one normally opts for async reliable guaranteed delivery.

>>not sure about this,

- What quality of service is required from your client (Best effort, exactly once, exactly once in order)?
>>Exactly once

- What does Websphere expect in return (i.e. response, transport ack etc.)

>>That i have to check

- If Websphere expects a response, should it be immediate or is a delayed response with correlation acceptable?

>>Will check

- If the response expected is immediate (i.e. sync), what happens if the call fails? Would the sending systems be able to trigger the message again?

Its a a sync  process.

Depending upon the very limited answer which i have provided above, what woould you have chossen to do this?

Thanks!!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

gagandeep_batra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i would like to suggest you to go for JMS adapter because you have better  message monitoring facility with that and also you can handle complex structure in better way.

Regards

GAgandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What do meant by better monitoring and handling of complex structure?

Thanks!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

FYI - Websphere MQ has its own monitoring you can use in addition to PI. You can set alerts in MQ based on message backlog and other trigger points.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you have any article which can help me in understanding the same?

Alerts in MQ has to be set by MQ server guys??

Thanks!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, your MQ guys should already have a good idea of the monitoring. I don't have any specific article but here is a link to the documentation, look at the section on Monitoring and Performance.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/index.jsp

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasant,

i worked on extensively using JMS adapter and File adapter, but never had any serious issues with JMS/File,both worked perfectly.

you no need to depend on MQ monitoring because most of the clients never give access to MQ system.

There are some limitations and Advatages with File adapter compare to MQ, but limitations are not show stopper.

your customer already had MQ application then opting for MQ right idea.

Further debate not required i beleive

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vasant,

My opinion on this...

JMS will give very good transactional support in case of issues with the network or outage of one of the two systems. You can still use XML formated messages within the MQ messages. We use this when communicating with our Mainframe system on IBM MQ. It has been rock solid for many years now. Also it can scale up nicely if your volume increases over time.

You can choose how long to persist the messages in the adapter engine or the integration engine. Then you can archive using normal PI archiving rather than going out to file system.

I like to avoid going out to the file system whenever possible to avoid issues with locked files, half processed files, sequence issues, lost files, or mysterious things happening, etc.

Message queues are designed to reliably transfer messages between systems, and IBM MQ is one of the best.

Here are some resources that will help:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/FAQ++J2EE+JMS+Adapter

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd go for JMS server - if it's one of the ones that work with PI - otherwise files,

Please also read about JMS problems in OSS notes for the JMS server you're planning to use,

with JMS you have a nice visibility of messages and perf should also be better,

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

The client is having Webshpere MQ.

So the job of JMS server, is to only send/receive messages to/from PI. It's like any other server for example ftp/web server etc.

What do you mean by JMS have a nice visibility of messages?

And do you see any issues with Websphere MQ server?

Thanks!!