SAP for Public Sector Discussions
Foster conversations about citizen engagement, resource optimization, and service delivery improvements in the public sector using SAP.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grants Management without SD module

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

At client there is no SD module , FI-AR will be used to to book any kind to receivables. There is a an issue, client treats Grants received as liability in his book of accounts. I want to know that in this case should i still create Business partner as Sponsor with type Customer or it should be linked to Vendor. If we treat Grant Sponsors as customer then how will the billing to Sponsor be done in this case.

There is also a requirement from client to have Sponsor wise reporting which comprises of Receipts (Grant received from it), amount of expenses incurred from the sponsor Grant and any surplus or loss left over. Will this kind of reporting be available in GM ? If not then i guess a customized report can be developed based on the sponsored class. For every research project there will be separate sponsored classes for expense and revenue heads through which Expense GL/Cost element will be derived through GMDERIVE. Sponsored class related spending and budgets will be stored in GM ledger for every Sponsor's related classes so from it we can make customized report as well.This is is my understanding. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sjajodia
Contributor
0 Kudos

Atif,

It is always better to create the Sponsor as a business partner in the customer role. The general idea behind treating grants as liabilities is usually that it is an advance received from a customer that is earned as grant expenses are incurred. A vendor master is not required as you will not be maintaining data related to vendors.

Regarding surplus or deficit reporting for a grant, this report can be created from a grant. You can also create a grant group (set) that includes all grants for a particular sponsor and determine whether a surplus or deficit exists at the Sponsor's level. You will need to define whether the surplus or deficit is calculated as Advance - Payments, Revenue - Expenditure or Budget - Expenditure.

Thanks

Shyam

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

mar_novalbos
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi

Grants Management (GM) uses the Sales and Distribution (SD) billing function to inform sponsors of the expenses incurred on the projects they are financing by means of grants. Each billing operation is based on the transactions posted to the grant and the grant rule stipulated on the billing tab in the grant master data.

With SD integration, you can use Resource related billing, Milestone Billing and Periodic billing.

But still you can use the manuall billing without specific integration with SD. In such case, Postings from certain FI document types can be considered as relevant for the calculation of the billed amount, and therefore marked as „billed“ when posted

Grantee Reporting is available in SAP menu

Accounting > Public Sector Management > Grants Management > Grantee Management > Information System

For example:

Budget Overview

Budget vs. Actuals/Commitments

Totals

Line Items

GM Line Items

Billing Report

This is what other customers use....

Also in the IMG :

Public Sector Management> Grants Management> Reporting> Report Tracking/ Monitoring>

You can use this for documenting sponsor reporting requirements. Badis are available as well.

BR

Mar

I

0 Kudos

Hi Mar:

I had a meeting with client , he says they do have milestone billing scenario for some of their sponsored projects. Client is not running any Sales & Distribution module , so in order to cater milestone billing scenario do we really need SD module or there is way out to cater this scenario in FI-AR as well.

Regards

sjajodia
Contributor
0 Kudos

Atif,

It is always better to create the Sponsor as a business partner in the customer role. The general idea behind treating grants as liabilities is usually that it is an advance received from a customer that is earned as grant expenses are incurred. A vendor master is not required as you will not be maintaining data related to vendors.

Regarding surplus or deficit reporting for a grant, this report can be created from a grant. You can also create a grant group (set) that includes all grants for a particular sponsor and determine whether a surplus or deficit exists at the Sponsor's level. You will need to define whether the surplus or deficit is calculated as Advance - Payments, Revenue - Expenditure or Budget - Expenditure.

Thanks

Shyam

0 Kudos

Hi Shyam:

Thanks for providing fruitful thoughts, what about posting invoices and getting receipts from customer (sponsors) . Will it be directly posted from FI ? Please correct me

Regards

0 Kudos

Atif,

You can use a few billing scenarios in SD - in particular Resource Related Billing. In the absence of SD you can post an FI document to credit a revenue account and book the receivable that is then cleared against the advance from the sponsor.

Thanks

Shyam

0 Kudos

Hi Shyam:

When you talk about resource related billing what do you mean by this. I do not really get and please tell me the way out to cater Milestone billing through FI since we do not have SD module since its a University.

Thankx

0 Kudos

Atif,

Resource related billing is essentially cost-based billing. All costs posted to a particular account assignment object (such as an IO or WBSE) for a period are billed in a billing run. This creates SD and FI documents automatically.

SD also provides the ability to perform milestone billing (essentially billing of fixed amounts based on approved milestones in the schedule).

FI billing is just an accounting entry. You must calculate the amount of the bill manually and enter it in the FB70 transaction. You can do this based on approved milestones

Thanks

Shyam

0 Kudos

Hi Shyamal:

Where do we maintain milestones in Grants Management ? Also i want to know if there is a way to reverse the released budget posted in Grants Management. ? In SAP menu i find very limited t codes for Grants Management . There is no such t code to display a posted GM document , reverse it e.t.c

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Milestone Billing functionality is in SD.

0 Kudos

Atif,

While the interface for entering GM budget documents is different, they are created just like BCS budget documents (in table GMIP). GM Budget documents can be reversed in transaction GM_MODIFY_BUDGET - Change Budget Document (look under Document menu in the transaction) and displayed using transaction GM_DISPLAY_BUDGET - Display Budget Document.

Thanks

Shyam