Did you mean: 

Canonical data model

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I have a simple scenario where in

Multiple orders -- XI -- SAP

Am trying to use canonical order data as per business requirement and coul dyou please validate on the step sequence

1. Multiple sender interfaces each for receiving orders data from the sender system

2, Mapping involves converting each sender information to canonical format - say for eg i have 3 orders messages and will go for 3 message and interface mappings.

3. On to ID objects , if  order data has to be passed to SAP system - 3 receiver determination ,3 sender agreeement, 3 interface determinations and 1 receiver agreement

Is this fine to go with the above steps ? what is the exact benefits of having this canonical format in XI (Application independent ). I am losing the clarity of reusing the canonical object here .please advise

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. three sender interfaces - one receiver interface + one additional message type representing the cononical structure

2. three message mapping to the conical structure + one for canonical to target. You combine the first mapping and the second to an interface mapping

3. OK

A canonical structure could make mapping easier, for example when your target is an IDoc, so the canonical structure is close to the different source structure. The complex mapping to the IDoc has to be done only once, the mapping to the canonical structure should be easy enough to make a benefit.

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the validation Stefan

Few clarifications still -

1. You combine the first mapping and the second to an interface mapping - Sorry lost the context for the interface mapping .

2. Secondly , Is this only advantageous if one receiver exist , In case I have multiple receivers, I still need to go for mapping canonicals to individual target structures.

Please advise

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. An interface (or operation) mapping consists of one or several message mappings.

So you create one interface mapping with two message mappings.

2. There is only an advantage, when you can replace several complex mappings with just one complex mapping and several easy mappings. Otherwise you would have only more mappings and more work.

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would have 4 message mappings -

3 source Mesages  to canonical message type and the 

canonical message type to target message .

Interface mapping 1  - 3 source interfaces and 1 target canonical interface  with the 3 message mapping included.

Interface mapping 2 -  Above canonical format with IDOC

as we have multiple senders , for establishing N:1 ,BPM  will be used?

Your inputs willbe helpful .

Thanks

Anusha

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Any thoughts on this please

Also how do we reuse  this canonical data models  ,I have a canonical message type for material Create and been implemented for Material create scenario , what would be the reusablity of it  ?

If a new source application  has a requirement for sending materials ,

Is reusablity is defined as like below ?

Creating the usage dependency in SLD  for this new SWC of application system and accessing the Canonical mesage type of the material .

Please advise

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How do we reuse  this canonical data models  ,I have a canonical message type for material -Create and this model is  been implemented for Material create scenario , what would be the reusablity of it  ?

only in case when a new source application  has a requirement for sending materials ,, these models /mapping could be reused

Please advise

Answers (0)