cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchy (Parent-Child) in Attribute View

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using the Hierarchy functionality in Attribute View for Work Center Hierarchy (which is table CRHS)

OBJID_HO = Child

OBJID_UP = Parent

(This is parent-child hierarchy. Parent can have children also and vice versa)

After executing I get records in 2 column.

My question is the following, currently the client gets work center hierarchy in a structured indented manner, like this:

Hierarchy Level              Work_Center                Description

1                                              JHSA                      Home

2                                       ADSA                     manager

3                               DASD                     Shop Door

4                               DFSF                      Mini Shop

2                                      AKDK                      Regional

3                              EWDS                     Main

4                              DFSD                      HYder

1                                              FEFE                      Cold

2                                      HKJH                       Domestic

..........and so on

Will the current HANA functionality support the above structure? If so, how can I test it. I'm only getting 2 columns in data preview. I'm assuming I'll have to export it to Excel or Universe?

Please advise on what steps I should take to test the hierarchy functionality is working.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

HANA studio doesn't show as hierarchy display if you data preview. You will need to report on the analytic view (that this attribute view connects to) using Excel to display it as a hierarchy. Remember, as of now hierarchy displays are only supported for MDX connections to HANA.

Thanks,

Anooj

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Anooj and Daneille, very insightful.

I'm going to see what can be done using the advice you guys gave. And if I have questions I'll ask.

Thanks again 😃

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mic,

you can only create a Level Hierarchy in Universe and as far as i understnad, you can not create a parent child hierarchy in WebI.

Also, the hierarchies created in HANA can only be consumed by a front end tool which supports MDX. So using a SQL statement you can not consume a hierarchy created in HANA.

You can try AOLAP which is available in BO BI Launchpad to consume this. It is from my past experience

Regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Anooj and Danielle.

I have follow up questions:

1. Is it okay to create hierarchy in Attribute View and link it to other measure tables in Analytic View, because I have no measures in the table CRHS hierarchy? Or I should create hierarchy in Analytic?
  2. Can I see the hierarchy in Universe (BO side)? The final output will be in Webi. Or Excel is my only option?
  3. Can you tell me step by step instructions on how to export the data from my Attribute/Analytic view to Excel?
  4. I understand that the data preview will be 2 columns, but does HANA know internally how the parent/chilld relationships are? I mean, by just looking at the 2 columns I won't know the relationships.
Former Member
0 Kudos

My responses:

1. Is it okay to create hierarchy in Attribute View and link it to other measure tables in Analytic View, because I have no measures in the table CRHS hierarchy? Or I should create hierarchy in Analytic?

- You cannot create a hierarchy within an analytic view. If you are able to join CRHS to other fact tables, I suggest you create the hierarchy within the attribute view (based on CRHS) & then join this view with the fact table in an analytic view. If that does not fit in with your requirements, consider modelling this as a calculation view. You can create hierarchies directly within a calculation view and it does not force you to have a measure.

2. Can I see the hierarchy in Universe (BO side)? The final output will be in Webi. Or Excel is my only option?

- No, you cannot display hierarchies in Webi using universes as of now. You should use Excel due to restriction of hierarchies only for MDX.

3. Can you tell me step by step instructions on how to export the data from my Attribute/Analytic view to Excel?

- This document here explains how you can connect an analytic/calculation view in HANA from Excel - http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e03fef5e-d82f-2f10-8898-859c4ed57...

Remember, you cannot directly use the attribute views for reporting. If you create a hierarchy within the attribute view, it has to be combined with an analytic view to report on it. If not, as stated above consider modelling it in calculation views.

4. I understand that the data preview will be 2 columns, but does HANA know internally how the parent/chilld relationships are? I mean, by just looking at the 2 columns I won't know the relationships.

- HANA works out the hierarchy relationships between the attribute columns based on the type of hierarchy (parent-child/level) you have defined.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anoop, thank you.

The client wants the report in Webi, is there any way I can display the final report output with hierarchy view (indented structure) in BO/Universe/Webi?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You would have to create the hierarchy outside HANA - in this case within a universe/IDT.

Not an expert in Universe/Webi but I have heard you can create custom hierarchies within Universe/Information Design Tool. If you are using the Information Design Tool, there is something called the navigation path. Again, not sure if you can use them within a Webi. You could search in SCN or post a question in the business objects scn forum to get expert advice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

While it might be best to do a bit of searching online you can use hierarchies in Webi via 2 options.

1) Report level using scope of analysis and custom creation here. An example can be shown at SAP offical tutorials: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/0098bf49-a13e-2e10-7da0-fa334c37e057&override...,

2) Sub-reporting level (EG universe). From the Universe Designer Help Guide.

"To set up new hierarchies you create a new hierarchy by creating a new folder in the Custom Hierarchies pane, then adding the appropriate dimensions in a hierarchical order. From the Hierarchies editor, click the New button. Or From the Hierarchies editor, select an object in the left pane and drag it over to the right pane. A folder representing the hierarchy appears in the right pane.

Type a name for the hierarchy

Press RETURN to apply the name.

Select the new hierarchy.

The hierarchy is highlighted.

Expand a default hierarchy node in the left pane. This is the hierarchy that contains dimensions that you want to add to the new custom hierarchy. Click a dimension. To select a series of dimensions, hold down CTRL and click each dimension. One or more dimensions are highlighted.

Click the Add button. One or more dimensions appear in the right pane, under the selected hierarchy.

The Unused objects only check box is a useful way to view only the dimension objects that you have not yet selected for inclusion in a hierarchy. "

Hope this helps some.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mic,

Anooj is correct. SAP HANA as a database creates views on physically stored data. Data preview shows you the views in a flat table layout (EG like a CSV file). 

OBJID_UP (Parent)  OBJID_HO (Child)

JHSA                      ADSA

ADSA                      DASD

DASD                      DFSF

You can view the hierarchy when used in reporting. Normally reports are created on Analytic views/calculation views as best practice as attribute views do not contain measures (key figures). To view a hierarchy you need a MDX connection. the reporting interface which uses MDX  to connect to HANA views is Excel. Create a simple Analytic view by using linking your attribute view to a table which holds a measure you want to view. Then run Excel on HANA and you should be able to drill and see the hierarchy,