Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI Design Guidelines

former_member189558
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We need some form of comparative design guidelines.

What I mean is for instance LOOKUP : whether to carry out lookups from an Oracle database or from R/3. What are the advantages and disadvantages for each.

Any form of help will be of much help.

You can share your document at himadrichakraborty@gmail.com

Thanks,

Himadri

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Himadri,

Db lookups are simpler than RFC look ups. If you already have the table in R/3 go in for a RFC look up. But if you need to create the table from scratch, go in for a DB look up. Just search "JDBC look up" in SDN you will find many helpful links.

Regards,

Jai Shankar

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Himadri,

DB lookup brings into picture the fact that you will have to manitain a separate Database etc for purely lookup purposes.

If you have an existing database which XI can access then it should be ok. <i>But, if you are planiing to introduce a Database into your landscape purely for Lookup's I would seriously veto against the idea.</i>

You XI installation is basically an R3 system and so you can instead maintain a table for your lookup on your XI system itself and do the lookup in your mapping using the lookup API's using an RFC. Ofcourse you would need some customization in terms ot a Z Table and a Z RFC ( there is a standard RFC which we have used TABLE_ENTRIES_GET_VIA_RFC but this has some limitations )

Regards

Bhavesh

former_member189558
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Bhabesh,

Thanks for the response...

I Understand the options..

However the client is interested to evaluate options for using JDBC/JCO/Value mapping...

We want to refer to some standard SAP documentations on these if possible.

If you have anything like that then can u please share.

There is one more major concern -- on handling large volume of data in XI. They are expecting 30000 messages a day... Do you have any docs where it says how XI performs with large volume. I know it can , as we used it ..... but we like to refer to some <u>standard docs or Blogs</u> on this.

Another thing -- ))))))) --- There is a need for BPM handling large volumes and if it is possible to make the steps in BPM not to persist.

Thanks and waiting for your response..

HImadri

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Himadri,

><i>However the client is interested to evaluate options for using JDBC/JCO/Value mapping...</i>

Do not use JCO directly. In this case you would need to hard code the server details, user id , password etc, if it is between JCO calls and RFC Lookup's alsywas use RFC Lookups.Dont have any SAP standard document though.

Regarding BPM and Transaction handling in BPM. This blog by Swen is really interresting,

/people/swen.conrad/blog/2006/12/22/xi-ccbpm-performance-under-perform-or-out-perform

Regarding the perfromance, you can use the Quick Sizer provided by SAP to understand the hardweare requirment and use it as a proof to go ahead with the volume question.

http://service.sap.com/quicksizer

Regards

Bhavesh

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

may be the threads below can give ur some info:

former_member189558
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhavesh,

This was of much help....

Himadri

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Himadri,

These documents may help u

The all in 1

/people/alessandro.guarneri/blog/2006/03/27/sap-xi-lookup-api-the-killer

Lookups in XI

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/08/23/lookup146s-in-xi-made-simpler

For the RFC lookup

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/12/21/use-this-crazy-piece-for-any-rfc-mapping-lookups

RFC lookup BC to XI

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/15/xi-rfc-mapping-lookups-from-bc-to-xi

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please see the below links

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/08/23/lookup146s-in-xi-made-simpler

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/5365aa90-0201-0010-5a9a-e231f401...

Regards

Chilla..