SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a variant in an existing generic article

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to create a new variant in an existing generic article, anybody know how to do that?

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

Hope you would have created characteristics(CT04) and have the characteristic values asigned to it crosscheck using (WRFCHARVALTYPE)..

You can go to MM42 and you should see the Values and Variants tab on the Basic data wherein you can click the Values tab and choose the necessary values(for ex colours or size accordingly or both)

Then you can go the variants for generic tab and tick the relevant ones,and it would create the variant numbers based on the generic article number..for ex...if the generic article number is 234 the variant number range would be 234001,234002 etc..

Then you can go to the Validity Area and choose the variant number(if you have done the process correctly you will see the list of variant numbers here) and maintain other relevant details etc

NOTE : The status of the Characteristics(Tcode CT04) should be "Released"

Hope it helps.

BR,

Aram.

0 Kudos

Hi Aram,

First, I did exactly like you described.

But, i need to include one more variant in the merchandise category, for example: Color.

But, when i try to insert this characteristic in WG22 (material group) with the Relevancy indicator 2, the system says "Generic material alerady created".

This is my problem!

0 Kudos

hi  Andre,

Q- I need to create a new variant in an existing generic article ?

Soln- You can creat characteristic for existing genric article 1- u have to creat c

0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

Can you complete your answer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre

To create variants for the existing generic articles please follow the below steps:

1. Use t-code - MM42; enter the generic material number; select the basic data as view; click Values tab; click insert row ( new row will get added, click f4 to display the available characteristics); set the indicator for the desired characteristcs; click continue; ensure that the new row has the value description same as the desired characteristics(if not correct the description and click enter); a new row will get added indicating the creation of new variant; go back to main data by clicking back and save.

2. Again go to t-code mm42; select basic data; click Variants tab; set the indicator beside the new characterstic value; go back to main data and save

3. Go to t-code MM43; select basic data; click Variants tab; go to variant number tab page; the newly created variant for the generic article will get populated with its variant number.

Regards

Saket

0 Kudos

Hello Saket,

How can i add a new row if the characteristic desired doesn`t exist?

0 Kudos

Hi Andre

Firstly, you need to create new value for the characteristic assigned to the merchandize catergory as follows:

1.Go to Tcode - CT04, enter the characteristic name and click enter; go to values tab maintain the desired characteristic value with its description and save it.

Follow the steps 1, 2 and 3 to create new variants.

Regards

Saket

0 Kudos

Saket,

Let`s try to illustrate it.

I have a generic article and two characteriscts (color and size) in the respective merchandise category (TV).

Now, i need to include a new the characteristic, Brand (values Sony, Samsumg, LG). But, it is not possible to add this characteristic in the MC because i already created a generic article.

What is your suggestion? Add the value of my new characteristic in an existing characteristic?

Can you explain based on my above examples?

Thanks,

André

0 Kudos

Hi Andre

Referring to the above example, you can maintain new values to the characteristics color and size, as you rightly said new characteristic brand cannot be assigned to the merchandise category TV as generic articles are already created.

You have following options to include the characteritic brand.

1. Delete and archive all the generic articles and then assign characteristic brand to merchandise category TV.

2. Append brand name to the existing characteristics color or size, this will allow you to have both brand name and color or size in one characteristic but this decision is solely dependendent on the business policies that is followed in the organization.

Regards

Saket