cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should the version of SC's added for the new Track be compatible with the existing track?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts, 

We have an existing track created for ESS which has SC's EP_BUILDT,SAPJEE,SAPBUILDT,SAP_JTECHS whose release version is 7.00 and SAPPCUI_GP is 603.

Now I am trying to create a new track for custom applications and I have added the following SC's SAP-JEE ,SAP_BUILDT , SAP_JTECHS and WD-RUNTIMe whose release version is 7.01.

In the Landscape Configurator , under the Domain data I have given the same path for the "Transport Directory folder" for the existing track and the new track

/usr/sap/trans/EPS/in/CMSXXXXXXX

When I went to the "Check-in" folder of the Transport studio I was unable to see any SC's for the new track but I could see the SC's added for the already existing track.

I have 2 questions in this regard:

--> Is this caused because the "Transport Directory folder" is the same for the existing and the new track ?

Should we give a new folder while creating a new track with different version of the  SC's as compared to the already existing track?

--> At a given point of time can there be two Tracks having the same SC's but different version of it OR do we have to make sure to maintain all SC's of all the tracks at the same version level?

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks,

Sujata

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

--> Is this caused because the "Transport Directory folder" is the same for the existing and the new track ?

Should we give a new folder while creating a new track with different version of the  SC's as compared to the already existing track?

there is normally only one transport folder (it is possible to give a separate one in check-in step using the button "Configure Check-in" but it is not necessary in most cases.

The question is why you can't see the SCs (it is not due to the transport folder) but rather due to this:

#1259604 – CMS check-in tab: Not all files from inbox are displayed

--> At a given point of time can there be two Tracks having the same SC's but different version of it OR do we have to make sure to maintain all SC's of all the tracks at the same version level?

yes, of course two different tracks can have different SP levels of the same SCs (unless these tracks are in relation with each other via "track connections".)

Inside one very track of course it is not allowed to mix SPs, i.e. one track can't have SP1 of jtechs while in the same track you have SP2 of buildt . This is not allowed of course.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ervin......I have referred to this SAP Note from one of the other responses that you have provided. It is very helpful ...but my question was why is the new version of the SC's shown for the old thread?

The Old Track had SC's of version 7.0 and the new Track has SC's of 7.01.

After creating the new track

In CMS --> Select the New Track --> Check-in Tab  : I am not able to see the SC's .

In CMS --> Select the Old Track --> Check-in Tab   : I am able to the SC's with version 7.01

When I have added SC's to the new Track why am I able to see them for the old Track which already has a different version of SC's ?

OR Is the Check-in tab the same for any Track ? As the transport folder is the same all we need to do is make sure the required versions of the SC's are available . So , can I go ahead and Check-in the SC's ? Please , correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Sujata

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

have you selected the SC to be developed for the new track?

you can see the SCs if they are the dependent SC of the SC to be developed in the track.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun Wu.....Thanks for the response...........

I did select the required SC's for the new Track.

Can you please explain "you can see the SCs if they are the dependent SC of the SC to be developed in the track." ??

Old Track has the same SC's as the new track but a different version....so if according to you there is a dependency and we are able to see them on the old track ....In that case we need to see the same for the new track also....but that is not the case ??

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sujata,

perhaps I can explain it, but let me summarize how I understood it. I will always use examples, since so far I don't know your configuration in details.

Consider the following scenario (example):

You are at CMS -- Landscape Configurator -- Track Data tab.

TRACKA is about WD development with release 700

TRACKB is about WD development with release 701

TRACKC is about WD development with release 730

TRACKA has an SC MYAPP that has build time dependencies to 700 SAP_BUILDT, 700 SAP_JTECHS, 700 SAP-JEE.

TRACKB has an SC MYAPP2 that has build time dependencies to 701 SAP_BUILDT, 701 SAP_JTECHS, 701 SAP-JEE.

TRACKC has an SC MYAPP3 that has build time dependencies to 730 SAP_BUILDT, 730 WD-RUNTIME, 730 ENGINEAPI, 730 ENGFACADE.

In CMS inbox you have:

- SAP_BUILDT <7.00 SP1>.SCA

- SAP_JTECHS <7.00 SP1>.SCA

- SAP-JEE <7.00 SP1>.SCA

- SAP_BUILDT <7.01 SP2>.SCA

- SAP_JTECHS <7.01 SP2>.SCA

- SAP-JEE <7.01 SP2>.SCA

- SAP_BUILDT <7.30 SP3>.SCA

- WD-RUNTIME <730 SP3>.SCA

- ENGINEAPI <730 SP3>.SCA

- ENGFACADE 730 SP3

The Check-in tab always looks for SCA files in the <transport folder>/CMS/inbox (the transport folder you have on Domain Data tab in "CMS -- Landscape Configurator").

It displays only those SCA files that are

1,) present in the cms inbox and

2,) configured for the track, and many other prerequisites, for this we talked about the note #1259604, details are available there.

And hopefully this answers your question:

Indeed it displays all Releases (e.g. 700, 701, 730) of the given SCA, i.e. as you said "check-in tab is the same" from the CMS inbox's point of view. On the track data the SP -- of the SCs to be checked in -- is not yet determined, this is why there you cannot choose the SP,  only the Release. The first possibility to specify the SP version -- you intend to develop for -- , is at the Check-in tab.

continuing the example:

on the check-in tab of TRACKA you see this:

- SAP_BUILDT 7.00 SP1

- SAP_JTECHS 7.00 SP1

- SAP-JEE 7.00 SP1

- SAP_BUILDT 7.01 SP2   <<

- SAP_JTECHS 7.01 SP2  <<

- SAP-JEE 7.01 SP2         <<

- SAP_BUILDT 7.30 SP3   << notice the presence of these files

on TRACKB's check-in tab you see the same.

on TRACKC's check-in tab you see:

- SAP_BUILDT 7.00 SP1 <<

- SAP_BUILDT 7.01 SP2 <<

- SAP_BUILDT 7.30 SP3

- WD-RUNTIME 730 SP3

- ENGINEAPI 730 SP3

- ENGFACADE 730 SP3

It displays the SCs that have been configured for the TRACKC, this is why you can't see SAP-JTECHS and SAP_JEE here (like in TRACKA and TRACKB). 

Check in only those SCs which have the Release that are matching to the Release you picked at the track configuration ("CMS -- Landscape Configurator -- Track Data"). If you want to do 700 development, you should not check-in 701 SCs and vica versa (even if the UI allows to do so).

If the SCs according to the above description should show up at check-in, but they are still not displayed, then perhaps there is still at least one prerequisite from the note #1259604 that is not met and so it leads to the phenomenon you face.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. My doubts are cleared.

Appreciate your time and help.

Thanks,

Sujata

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no