cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPINST not picking up SIDADM password correctly NW711 Install

murray_lahn
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm installing a NW 7.11 system in a Linux/DB6 environment from CD number 51036474 in a distributed environment (APP and DB on seperate servers). I have installed the first part on the APP server, but when I go to the install on the database server (the db instance) the system prompts me for the password of the sidadm id (sa1adm) but does not see that the password I supply is in fact correct.

We have reset the password for sa1adm on both the app and db server to the same as the Master Password we have used. We have confirmed that this is the correct password ("MasterX11"), as we were able to sign on directly in a PuTTY session. We have confirmed that the UID's of thetwo users are the same (925).

I searched SMP and Google, but didn't find anything of significance.

Do you have anything to suggest in terms of fixes, or ways to further diagnose what might be happening.

The key information from the sapinst_dev.log appears to be...

TRACE      2012-08-29 16:04:26.108
NWUsers.getAccountData(): {
  role:SIDAdm
  type:USER
  systems:os
  id:925
  name:sa1adm
  comment:SAP System Administrator
  home:/home/sa1adm
  shell:/bin/ksh
  privileges:
  exists:true
  client:
  host:undefined
  instancenumber:undefined
  locked:false
  chownHomeDir:true
  password:XXXXXX
  groups:sapsys,sapinst,dbsa1ctl
}

INFO       2012-08-29 16:04:26.109 [syuxcaccmg.cpp:237]
           bool CSyAccountMgtImpl::isExisting(ISyAccountMgt::eAccountType accountType, iastring sName)
           lib=syslib module=syslib
Account sa1adm already exists.

TRACE      2012-08-29 16:04:26.116 [syuxcuser.cpp:849]
           bool CSyUserImpl::checkPassword(const iastring & sPassword) const
           lib=syslib module=syslib
Password to check is longer than 8 characters.

TRACE      2012-08-29 16:04:26.235 [syuxcuser.cpp:971]
           bool CSyUserImpl::checkPassword(const iastring & sPassword) const
           lib=syslib module=syslib
user="sa1adm" uid="925" does not have the specified password: Authentication failure

TRACE      2012-08-29 16:04:26.238
NWException thrown: nw.wrongPassword:
<html><head></head><body> Invalid password.<br>DIAGNOSIS: The password you specified for user 'sa1adm' is wrong.<br>SOLUTION: Enter the correct password.</body></html>

TRACE      2012-08-29 16:04:26.419 [iaxxgenimp.cpp:707]
            CGuiEngineImp::showMessageBox

<html><head></head><body> Invalid password.<br>DIAGNOSIS: The password you specified for user 'sa1adm' is wrong.<br>SOLUTION: Enter the correct password.</body></html>

TRACE      2012-08-29 16:04:26.420 [iaxxgenimp.cpp:1245]
           CGuiEngineImp::acceptAnswerForBlockingRequest
Waiting for an answer from GUI

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

murray_lahn
Participant

The issue is now solved.  It turns out it was the result of using an older version of sapinst.  Once I upgraded to the latest sapinst, the issue went away.

Thanks for you all your suggestions!!!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murray

By any chance you are using NIS on your Linux system to centrally manage your operating system users ?

Can you go to your linux prompt and execute "id sa1adm" and paste the output.

I am more concerned about this error "Password to check is longer than 8 characters"

on your sapinst input screen try to give password as "MasterX1" and see what happens.

Regards

Amit Padmawar

murray_lahn
Participant
0 Kudos

My Linux guy tells me that we are NOT using NIS in this environment.

The results of "id sa1adm" is...

"uid=925(sa1adm) gid=921(sapsys) groups=921(sapsys)"

I tried using the 8 character password instead of the 9, but got the same results.  Now I didn't go back and change the Master Password in the sapinst, I just did a CONTINUE and when it prompted I put in the 8 character one.  It didn't work, so I tried the 9 character one again, but it still didn't work either.

former_member209924
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please take a look at this SAP Note 1563660, and see if this is helpful.

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

if I remembered correctly max password to enter in your installation is 8 characters which mean the password you entered most likely 'MasterX1'

so try work backward. set the user @ OS level temporarily to 'MasterX1' then set it back later.

murray_lahn
Participant
0 Kudos

This note isn't of use as at the present nothing is installed on the system so there's actually nothing to set the permissions on at the moment

murray_lahn
Participant
0 Kudos

I'll give it a try, but if that's the case, then weird part is that the installation of the first part of the distributed system worked with this 9 character password on the App server side.  The install I'm doing now is on the DB server side.

I'll give it a try and report back though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

can you check with your Linux team , looks like the password policies are different on your Central Instance and Database server.

Regards

Amit Padmawar