cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Delete Large Database - how to do it fast

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm working on a spin-off project, and was asked to create a new production system with no data.

My plan is:

1. Install the new system through homogeneous system copy, from the existing productive system;
  2. Create a new client
  3. With client copy profile including only customizing, user master records and user variants;
  4. Delete the client containing the data.

My problem:

• The database has 11 TB (MSSQL);
  • Deleting the client thgough SCC5 would take at least 1 week;
  • I need to sorten the client delete time.

My hipothesys:

• Using the expert options of client delete, place the largest tables on the exclusion list, deleting only the smaller tables through client delete;
  • Delete the largest tables at database level through "truncate table" (some Z tables, BSIS, APQD, COEP, RFBLG, CDCLS, TST03).

My questions:

• do you see any risks in this plan?
  • would you consider other options?
  • my functional/development team isn't secure to back up the plan due to the possibility of unknown impacts. What consequences do you foresee in truncating the above refered tables?

Thanks in advance for all the thoughts on this situation!

António Freitas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member215961
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

If you desire is have a copy of your productive sap system without user data and workbech you will consider export the client by scc9 and import in a new fresh system.

In adition you can copy entire system and then truncate thr database tables. This option will take some time...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sargan,

Client Export/Import was disconsidered as an option since we would need to have a consistent repository across both systems, and the source system has a significant level of modification.

I've placed a message in SAPNET and the response from SAP was that truncate tables at a database level is not a supported option by SAP, and I could do it at my own responsability. I would like to understand SAP's reserves.

The explanation was that SAP values "Stability over performance" and that it would place a risk on deleting data from other clients. But if my system is not yet productive and no other client exists on the system, what is the problem with truncating large transaction data tables at database level?

Regards,

António

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you can use truncate if have only one client or table have data of only one client to be deleted. We also use truncate on big tables to save time. SAP guys simply try to play it safe and say you to do this on your own risk.

Regards

Roman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roman,

If I understood well, you've already done it with large transactional data tables.

Have you observed any impact?

Are there any aditional considerations to take care besides all I've reffered before?

Just to add another detail, my largest table has 2 TB.

Regards,

António

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have database table with client specific data for only one client then SQL statements

delete from <table> where mandt='XXX';

and

truncate table <table> will have the same result in terms of application program (in our case SAP) but not from database point of view. In our case we can use any of these statements (if you have only one client). If you worry try this on test system before

Regards

Roman

Answers (0)