Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Forms or SmartForms - Transportability / Integration

former_member611006
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I'm making a Study to decide which Forms we will use (SmartForms or Adobe Forms).

The main focus for us is: How can you develop standard forms and labels so they can be used most efficiently into multiple systems (transportability) ?

Please let me know your opinion and/or experiences with both technologies.

Thank You.

With Regards,

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

You do not need to make a yes-or-no decision, just use both of them.

Pro of Smartform:

1. in many cases faster than Adobe form, because ADS-server can have (performance-)problems like other servers.

2. no need for install/configuration effort

3. no additional cost and effort for maintaining the ADS-Service/Server

4. in extreme cases, you can run codes/call FMs inside smartform to access the runtime data. In most cases this should be avoided, but still it is possible. Adobe form doesn't support such possibility, you can always find a workaround, but with a lot more efforts of time.

Contra of Smartform:

Typically the requirements for forms become complexer and complexer, someday you might face a problem that is not possible(e.g. very dynamic table, graphics etc), then you must accept some compromises.

As long as the requirement does not go beyond the capability of Smartforms, there is no significant transportability differences between Smartform or Adobe Form.

My suggestions:

1. The developer should never(as long as possible) write program logics in Smartforms

Keep in mind:

If your developer can make zero-logic smartforms, then you can rather easily transform a smartform into an adobe form.

2. for simple forms (e.g. a self-defined label) use Smartform

3. for complex forms, use Adobe forms.

Cheers.

Tao Lin

former_member611006
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tao,

thank you for the quick and helpful answer.

Is it possible de develop Adobe Forms without logic (coding) ?

The most important thing for me is to create forms that can be used into multiple systems, without a lot of adaptation work.

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

for Adobe Form, no logic is technically a must. Because the processing of form data runs outside the SAP-backend (in ADS service), thus you cannot run coding any more.

for Smartforms, it is technically possible since the rendering of the form runs in backend directly. But this possibility should not be misused and should be used only in case that a workaround is too expensive.

For the use of form in multiple systems, they are almost the same, if the "no-logic in layout" rule is kept strictly.

Cheers.

Tao

Nayan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Tao,

Tao Lin wrote:

4. in extreme cases, you can run codes/call FMs inside smartform to access the runtime data. In most cases this should be avoided, but still it is possible. Adobe form doesn't support such possibility, you can always find a workaround, but with a lot more efforts of time.

Cheers.

Tao Lin

Hi Tao,

Fully agree but ,

We can consume web services inside Adobe Forms to access real time data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nayan,

if we make enhancements to the Adobe Form framework, we can access the runtime data very easily. But I don't like such methods personally.

Another reason is, I've not have to meet requirements that I have no other ways other than reading runtime data so far. I think in most cases we can find a way to avoid logic in forms, the question is if we will do that or not.

The scripts in forms should only be used to edit layout properties, such as visibility, filter of drop down etc.

That is my personal point of view.

Best regards,

Tao

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Nayan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I would like to add some more points in reference to Adobe Forms

The basic difference between Adobe forms and Smart forms is Adobe Forms are Interactive, user can interact with the form even if they are offline..

Another usage of adobe forms is in term of client side validation, you can write scripting validation logic inside Adobe forms using javascript 

You can dynamically control form elements using scripting (append rows , hide controls, send mails)

You can directly upload Adobe Forms data into SAP using PDF Object ( user can fill the form when hes offline and whenever hes online he can upload the data )

You can Call Web Services directly from the form to consume data or to trigger some action on remote system.

Regards,

Nayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's right.

If we need an "advanced" form with interactive fields (input fields, drop down etc.). There is actually no alternative. Adobe Interactive Form is the only choice.

Cheers,

Tao

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will add Few points to Discussion.

1. Smartforms are having an edge as they are bit faster than Adobe forms, but still by using some 

techniques like Bundling we can achieve the speed in Adobe forms.

2.Even label Printing is very easy  with  Adobe forms as all Zebra Printers are supporting PDF.

3.Coming to ADS, now SAP is shipping basic JAVA Stack required  free with ECC ABAP Stack.

4. Up to Interface Both Smartforms and Adobe forms are same and if you know and have good skill

in Designer, the form design time will be drastically reduced

I will Suggest adobe forms  if you have hands on skill in designer.

Initially you may feel difficulty but if start working on adobe forms  yo never use smartforms.

For your requirement, I will strongly recommend the Adobe forms.

Thanks.

Uma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi UmaMaheswaraRao,

gut input! I see you are a technique fan 🙂

Usually, not all forms are very complicated. For light-weight forms like a print label or commissioning sheets, I think Smartform is more than enough.

In my experiences, my customer helpdesk get around 2 tickets per month due to Adobe Service problems(e.g., ADS-User password expired, ADS patches, Performance problem etc.). Smartform is nealy free of maintenence.

Anyway, it is not a "yes or no" desicion. We can use both techniques. As suggested above, simple forms smartform, complex form Adobe form. It's my point of View.

Cheers,

Tao