We want to migrat to

Suze SLES 9/X86_64

Oracle 10.2.0.2 64bit

EP 7.0

NW2004s SR2 NW AS Java

We believe that we can

- upgrade the OS

- upgrade/migrate Oracle from 9.2 32bit to 10.2.0.2 64bit

After the above steps, how do we upgrade our Web AS Java to NW AS Java?

Can we upgrade directly to 64-bit using the 64-bit media?

Or must we upgrade using the 32-bit media?

All advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Judith

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd do it the following way (if you have two machines):

- upgrade your 32bit ORA from 9.2 to 10.2

- shutdown and backup the instance incl. ORA

- install 64bit SuSE SLES 9 (preferably same hostname, different IP)

- do a homogeneous system copy using the NW04 SR 1 CD to the target system using a database backup

- upgrade your WebAS 6.40 to NWAS 7.00 using a standard java upgrade on the new system (you need to do a real upgrade)

- shutdown the old system

- set the IP of the second box to the original one of the old box

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your quick reply.

But what would you do if you only had one box?

Judith

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Judith,

the official SAP page covering such topics is <a href="https://service.sap.com/osdbmigration">https://service.sap.com/osdbmigration</a>. As you want to change the OS (from Red Hat to SUSE), the DB (from Oracle 9 to 10), the architecture (from i386 to x86_64) and the SAP software stack (kernel 6.40 to kernel 7.00), you will find all information on this page.

Best Regards,

Hannes Kuehnemund

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Of these two options, which would you recommend and why:

1. upgrade to 32-bit Ora 10.2

homogeneous system copy to 64-bit SLES9 w/64-bit Ora 10.2

or

2. homgeneous system copy to 64-bit Ora 9.2

Upgrade ORA to 10.2?

Thanks,

Judith

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Judith

SAP note Note 940811 may also be helpful, it describes that it is possible to use a backup performed with Oracle 9.2 32bit for subsequent recovery on Oracle 10.2 64bit.

I hope this helps.

Manfred

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Manfred,

This is getting better and better.

Now, one question left, I think:

Do we have to do a homogeneous system copy to go from NW04 32-bit to NW04 64-bit before we can upgrade to NW2004s 64-bit?

Many Thanks,

Judith

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Judith

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but let me try 2 answers anyway:

1) There is no way to upgrade a 32bit Linux OS to 64bit, for this reason one has to copy the system over to a new OS installation. Very often the server is not yet capable of running 64bit software. If it is, and if you have smartly separated the SAP directories away from the OS related directories (separate mount points), a new installation and exchange of binaries like database (the Oracle info was already in ma last reply), kernel and SAP Java binaries would allow for a direct upgrade to 64bit. But this is not the officially supported SAP way. A sysadmin with good experience will be able to do this nevertheless. In this case one has, e. g., to care about entries in /etc/services, the SAP related OS users and their home directories, JDK and path to JDK as used by SAP J2EE.

2) Second possible scenario to get from NW04 32bit to NW04s 64bit is do the upgrade to NW04s on the 32bit box, then copy over to 64bit. In almost all cases performing the system copy before the upgrade makes more sense, as you will benefit from new hardware right away, get rid of 32bit limitations as early as possible, ...

But perhaps you even had something different in mind.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Manfred,

We really appreciate your help with this

I believe you do understand our questions correctly. But to clarify:

Our hardware is 64-bit capable

We have done a new install of the OS

We know how to migrate/upgrade Oracle from 9.2 32-bit to 10.2 64-bit (as per your recommendations and note 940811

We just need to figure out how to get to 64-bit java kernel and SAP java binaries.

When you say: "a new installation and exchange of binaries like database" do you mean to do a new installation of NW04 64-bit on top of the new OS and then replace the database with the Oracle 10.2 64-bit database?

We're not sure if there are config files in the old /usr/sap/sid that we would lose.

Judith

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Judith

Basically there are 2 ways to do the install: use SAP installation to have the binaries installed. Probably a good idea to back up your /usr/sap directory first.

Doing the manual replacement is a bit trickier. Notes 710914 and 718901 may be of help. I have never done this myself, but I know that it is possible.

Don't forget to exchange the JDK by the 64bit version (note 861215).

We have done something similar with our NW04 testdrive for Linux. Our updater https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/42dbc4a9-0401-0010-5091-c680531e... updates a 32bit version to 64bit (this one is MaxDb and Abap/Java though).

Answers (0)