cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Definition: Suggested Start Value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

When I am creating a new project I click on the drop down field on the Project definition, Pop up window appears "Find Open Number".  I am then able to enter a value in the "Start value" field.  My concern is that the field does not enforce the coding mask.

So for an example, coding mask is A - XXXXX, if I type A-1 it allows the value but user wants it to default to A-00001.  Any suggestions?

Thanks;

Werner

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure but i think this would not be possible. The "Find Open Number" option gives you the flexibility to find the next number in sequence for a project irrespective of whether a coding mask exists for it or not.

In case you wish to find the open number with respect to the coding mask you have defined please enter an appropriate value in the "Start Value" field and that should work. Try to explain this to your user and convince him to follow the said process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gokul, will be difficult though as end users can effectively create projects with the incorrect coding mask.  e.g. user will be able to create project with mask A-1 instead of A-00001.  Is there any other way to ensure the length without making changes to the coding mask?

Thanks;

Werner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tick the Edit check box in the coding mask config..That will ensure that there are no projects created using A other the format defined in the coding mask.

Try it and revert.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was checked to begin with.  I read on antoher post that if you have a coding mask C-XXXXX it wil allow this type of behaviour.  Ideally should have been C-00000 then I would not have this issue.  I do not want to go through the ardeous process of recreating coding masks so my only option is validation to check the field lenght of project. 

I found this logic on another post to check lenght, this specific one checks that the project id length is 6:

PROJ-PSPID :7-7: = ''

AND PROJ-PSPID :6-6: <> ''

AND PROJ-PSPID :5-5: <> ''

AND PROJ-PSPID :4-4: <> ''

AND PROJ-PSPID :3-3: <> ''

AND PROJ-PSPID :2-2: <> ''

AND PROJ-PSPID :1-1: <> ''

Now I changed it to below because I believe C-XXXXX should be 7 digits in lenght but for some reason this is not working, I get the custom message I created the whole time to ondicate theat check failed:

PROJ-PSPID :8-8: = ''

AND PROJ-PSPID :7-7: <> ''

Does it have anything to do with the special character

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure but worth checking the special characters.

Also, do some R&D with the syntax above and test. You might get lucky.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was able to resolve, I only needed to check

Reason is that if you create mask C-1 it is saved in PROJ as C     1 and thus validation will kick in.  If you create it C-00001 then no issue.

Thanks;

Werner

sanjeevc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Use A-00000 instead of A-00001 this start value when you going to create project when Pop up window appears "Find Open Number"

then click on find icon system will propose open no. you need to select open no then select project profile with company code business area plant profit center and mandatory field, then save that job project will create.

Regards,

sanjeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjeev,

The issue I am facing is that the coding mask lenght is not being enforced.  So someone can go and create a project A-1 and system will allow it.  I need it to be A-00001 only.

I have seen some other postings where they suggest I tick the SL indicator or even change the X to 0 however this is proving very difficult.  Once you have started to use the coding mask it is almost impossible to change.

Thanks;

Werner

former_member183901
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi PS Team Lead,

Go to OPSK and select SL (Structure Length field). Your Project ID length  shall be restricted.

Regards,

MRD

sanjeevc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes Once you have started to use the coding mask it is almost impossible to change.

before using this if you want use only numerical no. then you need to use 0 instead of x.

now you can use A-00001 but with different coding mask or other then start "A" i.e. B-00001

even by mark check to SL will not get result as desired you.

Regards,

sanjeev