Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Migration Problem

former_member459694
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Currently we plan to do a migration project.

Our current system is:

ERP5.0 + Solaris 9 + Oracle 9.2 (on SUN SPARC paltform), Kernel 6.40 64bit Non-Unicode

We plan to migrate it to x86 hardware platform, SAP version and database version remains the same (still ERP5.0)

Now we are concerned about which OS we can select, Windows or Linux, and which version of the OS can we use? Windows 2008? or Redhat Linux EL6?

I just searched on the PAM, and strangely found that Windows Server 2008 DO NOT support ERP5.0, only Windows Server 2003 is supported, is it true? and if we choose Redhat Linux EL5, the database can only be oracle database 10.2, not 9.2, so, if we choose Redhat Linux, we can not select EL4 which support oracle database 9.2.

Could anyone help to confirm whether my understanding is right or not?

Another big problem is: as I checked the ERP5.0 will be out of maintenance by SAP by the end of March next year, so, after this migration, we may start to upgrade the SAP system, and on that stage, the OS will also be upgraded from Windows server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 or Linux from EL4 to EL6, this will be additional OS license fees?

So, I am now confused about the following three methods:

1. Migrate current ERP5.0 to x86 hardware platform first, with Windows Server 2003 or Redhat EL4, and then upgrade SAP system on the new hardware platform later, that mean also upgrade Windows or Linux later?

2. Upgrade SAP from ERP5.0 to ECC6.0 firstly on the old hardware, and then do a migrate from SUN SPARC to x86. I am not prefer to choose this method since the old hardware may not be able to upgrade SAP, and the old OS Solaris 9 may not support ECC6.0, we also have to face the fact that we should upgrade Solaris on the old hardware. this also will be a big efforts.

3. Upgrade SAP system from ERP5.0 to ECC6.0, together with the hardware migration (including OS change/upgrade, oracle database upgrading), I am not sure whether this is feasible and the difficulties on it.

Could any experts help to share your opinions? which way you will choose or another way?

Thank you very much for all

Freshman

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After a bit of reading on PAM....

ERP6 EHP5  Database Platforms  SAP KERNEL 7.20 64-BIT UNICODE  ORACLE

ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT SOLARIS/SPARC 9 20.12.2010

My best suggestion is you should try upgrading your system to ERP6 EHP5 on your current box if possible (resource availability)

You should be able to do Upgrade your current Oracle database to version to 10.2.0.5 and then run a Upgrade+Unicode Conversion.... Then you'll have a solid base to do an OS/DB migration directly to LRHE6 or Windows 2008 + Oracle 11g.

Regards, Juan

former_member459694
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Juan, i have one question, for oracle database upgrade from 9 to 10.2,  shall I export the db and import it again after newly installed oracle 10.2? or I can directly upgrade it from 9.2 to 10.2 on the SUN machine? Sorry I'm new on this, and concerned about the hardware availability, we have no other SUN SPARC servers for temporary server...

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes , you can upgrade the database using the Database upgrade assistant on the same system . You do not need to export the database .

Follow the SAP standard Oracle upgrade guide to 10g

https://websmp104.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700003115122006E/GUIDE_UX_ORA_UPGRADE_30new.pdf

Regards

Ratnajit

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You'll find the Upgrade guide in SAP Marketplace. You can upgrade directly to 10g  from Oracle 9.2.0.4 or later using DBUA no need for and export/import.

Read the install guide  Upgrade to Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2): UNIX

Regards, Juan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to build your solution around option 1 (not necessarily the same). But 1st decide on which OS you are planning to move. From there we can draw a future path .

Regards.

Ruchit.