cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple data validation in a view - newbie question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi-

Disclaimer-

I am a novice Java developer who is also new to NWDS.  I have been tasked to do something which appears to be fairly "simple".  I have been searching out tutorials which might lead me thru an example of this and haven't found one yet.  If you could point me to one, that would be helpful, since I have no formal NWDS training.

The task that i am coding for is to simply do some rudimentary validation of an entered SSN (basically stopping some patterns like '333-33-3333' from being entered) when a person adds a dependent via ESS.  It seems that the validation can be done either (a) in the view itself somehow at run time or (b) by calling a function module on the R/3 side which would do this validation and return a pass/fail message back.  It would seem that option (a) would be preferable from a performance perspective, but that is one this newbie's opinion.  : )

I am attempting to determine the "correct" place where this should be done.  Can anyone help me with for how to proceed?  For option (a), where might be the best place to do this validation?  For option (b), can someone either give the steps or point me to documentation of the steps that i should take to correctly code an RFC call from Java WD?

If there are other ideas that i have not discussed above, I am open to them.  However, i am new to NWDS, so i would need to have the idea to be explained fairly well.  I am getting up to speed as fast as i can.....

cheers,

jim.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

If I were at your place, I would have been gone for option (a), and to answer where it should be... it can be in View.. or if the format for validation is reusable thing... do that in component or custom controller.

As-far-as I know, RFCs used for data transformations between UI and DB and not for (majorly) for just validating at UI level.

Thanks,

MS