cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In desperate need of help - 'Direct Put-away'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to SAP and my warehouse is about to go through the implementation to SAP but we are having problems understanding put-away after goods received. We would like to use what they call 'Direct Put-away' with multiple workers on the same shipment (1 HU).

Is there a way of doing it because we are only able to get 1 worker per HU(per shipment) I have heard about Deconsolidation but we find it hard to use with our shipments that have 3 or more skids and it is extremely long to do just to be able to have multiple workers on a large shipment.

Could anyone help me figure this out. I have heard about IMG but I do not know how or if there is a way to configurate Direct put-away with multiple RF-units (workers).

Please help. I have gotten courses on how to use SAP,do data entry and how to use the RF Units to do the work but nothing else. no one has informed me about strategies or configurations.

We are an Auto Parts distributor and some of our warehouses are being overwhelmed with inbound receptions and are accumulating delays past 14 days. We are next to be implemented and I need to make sure my department wont be having the same problems.

Our tutors are not even aware of configurations or warehouse strategies so they are not able to answer my questions.

Thank you. All help is welcomed.

J.Dalm

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi J.Dalm,

Sorry to hear about your issues... can you let me know which WM system is going to be implemented? Is it SAP WM or SAP EWM?

Looking at your description it looks like you're using SAP EWM; in that case, the below URL might be helpful:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ewm70/helpdata/en/35/fa2f41b342ef23e10000000a155106/content.htm

During this process, the system creates on Warehouse Task (WT) per Handling Unit; a WT can only be assigned to a single worker so if you want multiple workers to work on it, you need to deconsolidate it into multiple HU's first.. usually, a HU is similar to a box or pallet, so this would typically be something that only one worker is working on.

How does a HU look at your warehouse? Is it a box, pallet, container, ... ? If you can explain your case in some more detail, there might other solutions.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oliver,

I have till December to find alternative to the deconsolidation process. At least I am trying to!

My warehouse right now is WMS so we are used to doing inbound receiving by shipments with multiple workers on RF units. Here is our process right now...

-Delivery, unload truck

-create a inbound reception of goods , gets a file # (often several skids per shipments since we are a distributor)

-then the skids are brought to the zone where the line of product belongs.

-put away to destination location begins , with several workers

-end put away and verify shorts & over & other

I am having a hard time understand why SAP would have direct put away and block it with only one person to do it. I have read the link you left me before and It does not say only 1 person can do it. So it is why I am searching to see if there is a configuration I could do in the IMG to get it to allow multiple users on it.

We do not have any counting or verification posts so having to do this deconsolidation task is doubling my future workload and it will not give me much more input other then the new HU location. To me it's like adding a middleman that I really don't need.

I am looking for the fastest way to get my shipments (all on skids) received, and put away at their destination locations so the items will be ready for picking.

If their is no other choice then to deconsolidate, I will have to deal with it but I need to turn as many rocks as I can to avoid it.

Thank you for your help.

J.Dalm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the info. It looks to me like the level of HU is the key in this case.

As described in the help.sap.com URL, during the direct putaway process, EWM creates a Warehouse Task (WT) per Handling Unit. A WT can only be assigned to one worker, so this means that you can't putaway a HU with more workers simultaniously.

I guess what you're looking for is a way to split HU's into multiple HU's, so that more workers can work on it. This can be done via deconsolidation; the other option you have is to make sure that the received shipment is already split into smaller HU's when you receive it.

I'm not sure how the inbound deliveries and HU's are created in your case, but you might want to check that process to see what options are available. I don't have a EWM system available at the moment so I'm not able to further check any settings unfortunately.

Regards,

Oliver