cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.3 Components not building on NWDI 7.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am currently experiencing an issue with NWDI and am at a loss on how to proceed...

Environment:

CBS - Configured (to the best of our knowledge) to enable JDK1.6.0 builds but default to 1.4.2 builds

TRACK - The default build variant for our 7.3 track (new) is configured to use the JDK1.6 configured in the CBS settings:

As far as I can tell this configuration is correct. Our 7.0 tracks are still working albeit that the build plugin is now started with the JDK1.6.0 (as specified in BUILD_TOOL_JDK_HOME) but it forks a JDK1.4.2 compiler for the actual DC build (default key in JDK_HOME_PATHS).

For components in our 7.3 tracks however the builds are all failing. The request log looks fine but the build is failing stating 'compilation errors':

===== Processing =====  started at 2012-08-27 13:43:31.049 GMT

BUILD DCs

'customer.com/tools/crypto/list_providers/ep/comp' in variant 'default'

.. FAILURE: The build failed due to compilation errors. See build log for details. [result code: 202]

===== Processing =====  finished at 2012-08-27 13:43:36.490 GMT and took 5 s 441 ms

The corresponding build log however do not show any errors but look like they just end prematurely. The last line is:

Start build plugin:

using build plugin: sap.com/tc/bi/bp/portalapplication

starting build plugin from : /usr/sap/DIP/JC23/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/22/.B/11070/DCs/sap.com/tc/bi/bp/portalapplication/_comp/gen/default/public/def/

Normally I would expect a block of information about the build task/plugin after this line (plugin version, DC, SC, type, etc) but it EOF.

I cannot find any indication on the root cause of this in any other log file available to me. It is happening for all component types (lib,ep,web, etc).

Does anyone have any idea on how to approach this issue?

With kind regards,

Thijs Janssen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a small update for those who might suffer the same problem:

An upgrade to 7.00SP25 solved the problem and the CBS is now building components as expected.

Cheers,

Thijs

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

first of all for me the configuration looks also correct, and the error doesn't seems to be related to JDK problems.

Is this problem always reproducible?

Could you please go to CBS, look up the custom DC in question ('customer.com/tools/crypto/list_providers/ep/comp) and trigger "Build..." ?

(In Compartment View select first your custom SC, then on the same page in the lower table click on your DC. On the next page a button Build... should be available.)

Perhaps it was just a temporary problem during this build.

If this does not help, then trigger again build, and check the cbs.log (if your NWDI is 70x) or the defaultTrace (if your NWDI is >= 710).

Thank you and Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

small addition: since you sent screenshot of visual admin I assume you have 700 NWDI, this case the location of the NWDI related logs (besides defaultTrace that always has to be cheked) are:

-...\j2ee\cluster\server<n>\log\applications\cms.<n>.log

-...\j2ee\cluster\server<n>\sap.com\tc~dtr~enterpriseapp\dtr.<n>.log

-...\j2ee\cluster\server<n>\log\services\tc.CBS.Service\cbs.<n>.log

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is always reproducible. I have not been able to do a central build of any 7.3 component since we have started this project many weeks ago (we're depending on local builds/deployments to keep things going).

These are all new components and do not show in the compartment list as they do not activate due to the build failures. Not sure if that is normal behaviour though (?). I trigger builds by looking up the pending activites and pressing the activate button.

I have executed the 'activate even if build fails' option for one component and that one does show in the compartment list and I can trigger a build for that component through the method you described. The build results are the same though

I am trying to get a proper set of logfiles from our basis team but at first sight only the cms.<n>.log files look to be there.

Cheers,

Thijs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Of the three locations you mentioned, only the cms.<n>.log files were found. They contained little useful information though.

The other two exist in our archives but no new log entries were written when we executed a new build.

The applications.<n>.log files contain some data but nothing beyond what the request- and build logs already stated.

Maybe we should increase the log severity levels?

Will discuss this tomorrow with our basis team but any pointers on specific log locations/categories would be welcome.

Cheers,

Thijs

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

could you please make an attempt to restart the CBS ? You can do it using Visual Admin. Simply focus the service Component Build Service and trigger stop from its context menu, then start it up again.

Is the problem reproducible after this?

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

We have stopped and started the CBS service numerous times as we were of the understanding that this needed to be done to effectuate the changes in the CBS settings (for the JDK settings). I will try again this afternoon with our basis guy but I am not very optimistic this will change anything

Cheers,

Thijs

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you tried that already then it is fine, then I am also not very optimistic that it will bring any results.

Can you then look around in the  <transport folder>/CMS/log/ ?

Check the location of the transport folder under the CMS WebUI (/devinf – Landscape Configurator – Domain Data Tab).  But I assume here you will see again just the "broken" log files.

If you reproduce the problem, can you see any suspicious

in ...\j2ee\cluster\server<n>\log\sysyem\database.<n>.log ?

I can't think of any other logs and traces besides those we discussed so far.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I have put in a request for the contents of the <trans>/CMS/log folder with the system administrator.

The database.<n>.log is empty...

I have also set all the logging categories for /Applications/CBS/* to 'Debug' but that produces hardly any extra logging information.

There is one line in the request log that might be an indication of a problem but the process itself does not seem to be all too bothered about it as it just continues processing and attempts a build anyway:

Resource "/SCs/customer.com/PORTAL_ADMIN_TOOLS/_comp/TopLevelDCs/customer.com tools crypto list_providers ep comp.dcref" is not relevant for DC build and will be ignored. Reason: Invalid DC URL '/SCs/customer.com/PORTAL_ADMIN_TOOLS/_comp/TopLevelDCs/customer.com tools crypto list_providers ep comp.dcref'. URL does not point to DCs root directory.

Any idea if this could be related to the issue?

Cheers,

Thijs Janssen

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry, I got no further idea. Having no traces it is difficult to find out what is going on, unless I could log on to your system and look around.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thanks for your help anyway!

I think we'll have to create an OSS message and see if we can get this thing moving through the official support channels.

With kind regards,

Thijs Janssen

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Thijs,

you can refer my name in the ticket, then I can take it and do some research. I am also in tight contact with my developer buddies in case I also need some support. Simply ask in the ticket that you want me as processor. I am also curious what is going on here.

Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I have created an OSS message and requested for you to be assigned as processor. Thank you for your help!

Cheers,

Thijs

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Thijs,

only for the record: I received the ticket with the opened connection only today, I have a look at it and let you know my findings soon.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are having the same problem.  Please let us know if you find the solution.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

I am just analyzing the system of Thijs, once I know more about this problem I will share it here.

Are you sure your problem is exactly the same?

Can you please also attach the same screenshots like Thijs and comment on all the recommendations I gave him? Perhaps your case is different and we can solve it quickly.

Thanks and Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

It took some time to get the right support persons in play to open the connections. Let us know if you need any additional information or access. Thank you!

Cheers,

Thijs

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Thijs,

ok, sounds good, once you send the ticket back to me I can start working on it. As I can see it is still not on SAP side.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ervin,

I'm sorry about the ping ponging in the OSS message. I had to delegate the administrative parts of the OSS message to others and it's not really progressing as I had hoped. I'll get back involved once all the connection/credential aspects are handled.

Cheers,

Thijs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin ,

Do you have any solution for this issue  with out upgrade ?

Any SAP note which describes the solution ?

-Rakesh

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Namaste Rakesh bhai,

this is not really something one can solve by upgrading and things like that, this is rather about the question of proper configuration.

This other thread might help:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2079515

This other one can give some idea too:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1775010

I hope this helps!

Khayal Rakhna, 😉

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin Bhai,

From our end configuration is correct . set up is according to the threads .

NWDI DC version are 7.31 SP13

NWDS versio is 7.31 SP13 .

our build log is like below exactly looks like what described in this original .

DC Model check:

All used DCs are available locally

validating dependency to build plugin "sap.com/tc/bi/bp/portalapplication"

validating dependency to  public part "default" of DC "sap.com/com.sapportals.htmlb"

validating dependency to  public part "api" of DC "sap.com/engine.j2ee14.facade"

validating dependency to  public part "api" of DC "sap.com/tc/epbc/prt/api"

validating dependency to  public part "api" of DC "sap.com/tc/epbc/prt/apps"

validating dependency to  public part "api" of DC "sap.com/tc/je/webservices/lib"

DC model check OK

Start build plugin:

using build plugin: sap.com/tc/bi/bp/portalapplication

starting build plugin from : /usr/sap/DI1/JC02/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/44/.B/195997/DCs/sap.com/tc/bi/bp/portalapplication/_comp/gen/default/public/def/

I am not able to find what is the build error here . Is there a way for us to verify useful logs or do you remember the OSS message solution raised for the original thread.

Happy holidays ...

have great time . hopefully will meet sometime

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

could you please open a new thread and describe there your current configuration ?

Meaning: how the BUILD_TOOL_JDK_HOME, JDK_HOME_PATHS and the com.sap.jdk.home_path_key looks like in your case.

Thanks and Regards,

Ervin