cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP EM also applicable outside SCM boundaries?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have read about the added value of SAP EM within the SCM area and I'm very positive about the advantages of the product.

However, I would like to know whether it can be positioned (and recommended) as a generic solution to manage business processes on non-SCM areas. For instance one could use SAP EM to monitor B2B information exchange between partners and control all kind of SLA's and KPI based on the events collected by SAP EM.

Has anyone similar experiences with SAP EM?

Thanks,

Roberto Viana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all, thanks for your feedback.

It's now very clear to me what the high potential and added value of SAP EM can be and how it can be positioned within the enterprise. I think it is time to create awareness in our organization about this great instrument to get more control on business processes.

Regards,

Roberto Viana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

I know very little about SAP EM usage, But, what ever I know, I vote against.

SAP EM can be used for non SAP Application, But, my understanding was the use of SAP EM was on the lines of "Being informed of a defined event occurrence/non occurrence"  that really provides Customer and valuable in-site to track there most important link in Supply chain.

As far the setup provide tangible leads, the setup even though technically feasible will fall apart when Business starts using it,  In my little experience,  Business on the other side have different views on usability. 

Thx

MJ 

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MJ,

I'm not sure why you make a suggestion when you clearly state that you "know very little about SAP EM usage"!

Roberto, please consider advice only from those that are in the know. You would not take stock market advice from a plumber who knows very little about the market...

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Kevin,

I did not reply to your comments. I know for sure there are no restrictions to respond to a open question/idea.  You have no rights to judge me a plumber , please be focused on the topic and I welcome healthy contradiction on the idea and not for what I know.  I know what I know in SAP EM to contribute.

Thx

MJ

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

I have been involved in two large projects where SAP EM was used to track the delivery of parcels by Postal Organizations. 

Once a client has the EM component in place they seem to be able to then find countless ways to make use of it to track process and objects related to their businesses. 

Jeff.

0 Kudos

The use of the EM tool to track activities within a company's Supply chain has been done at many companies both large and small.  Some of these customers use SAP and are leveraging some of the "out of the box"  capabilities.  but the reality is all customers make changes to their solution from the out of the Box.  The term supply chain  in today's world, is really whatever your business is.  Its your supply chain,  whether that's banking or insurance, etc... EM is a visibility tool for both SAP and NON SAP solution.  It has for many years been offered  a stand alone solution.  Since SAP has seen multiple implementations at this point of SCEM(EM) implementations they have decided to package some of the most frequently seen solutions in order to help with speed to deploy and cost,  however the beauty and power of EM is the fact that by design SAP has released a product which offers much in the way of customizing to each specific customers needs. 

So, to answer the original question, Yes I would recommend EM to track the milestones mentioned in the original post.

Mike M. Mansour

SAP America Inc.

Principal Supply Chain Consultant

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Roberto,

I echo Petra's comments. SAP EM is a tool born out of the SCEM need but it truly is a tool that now stands alone outside of the Supply Chain itself. I see no reason why you could not use EM to track a contractor and their activities on a mine site or track an employee. How about using SAP EM to track the status of your loan application? All these are not supply chain related but could absolutely leverage SAP EM functionality to add value to the mentioned process.

It's a toolset to help craft a solution. Things like visibility processes and RDS solutions take that toolset and have crafted solutions for them. All of these to date have been in the Supply Chain area but we are looking for that first customer that will step out the box and use it elsewhere...

Thanks

Kevin

Petra_Diessner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Zenon,

I would say the majority of our customers use it for their SC related business, but usage beyond that is also not uncommon. Please e.g. check out the following:  http://insiderprofiles.wispubs.com/article.aspx?iArticleId=6124

Best regards, Petra.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would advise against it but yes it is technically possible to hook up SCEM to non SCM business flow.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zenon,

What SAP solution would you recommend instead, maybe BI/BO?

Regards,

Roberto