Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of User Name, what are the consequences in SAP system?

samnovice_new
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to change User Name in SAP system from "Jack" to "Mike" Can I do this in Tcode SU01 and how? Also most important question:

- what happens with old records which was inserted by "Jack" are they replaced with name "Mike"?
- can I simply replace names without any important consequences in SAP system or perhaps not?

Any help is appreciated and many thanks in advance for prompt replies!

Cheers;)
Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can't change user name. You can create a new account and copy role assignments plus all other values to it. Obviously, all previous activities are linked to the old account and you can't re-link it to new user. You can delete user in SAP system but it's not a good idea because old records will be pointing to non-existing record. Hence it's a good practice to remove all roles, lock user and move it to special user group such as TERMINATED. The locked users won't be counted as active users. Hence you won't pay for these users.

Cheers,

Martin

13 REPLIES 13

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can't change user name. You can create a new account and copy role assignments plus all other values to it. Obviously, all previous activities are linked to the old account and you can't re-link it to new user. You can delete user in SAP system but it's not a good idea because old records will be pointing to non-existing record. Hence it's a good practice to remove all roles, lock user and move it to special user group such as TERMINATED. The locked users won't be counted as active users. Hence you won't pay for these users.

Cheers,

Martin

0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

Thank you for helpeful answer!

Hence it's a good practice to remove all roles, lock user and move it to special user group such as TERMINATED. The locked users won't be counted as active users. Hence you won't pay for these users.

How exactly I can remove all roles for this user? I understand how to lock user and move it to special user group INACTIVE however..
So if I lock "Jack" and create new user name "Mike" I don't have to pay any licence, right?

Thanks in advance for quick reply!

BR,
Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes you can not change the User name , but you can do one thing :- delete this user by using ZSRMDELETEUSERS tcode and create new one with same profile.

but if user is associated with data that is important to you company or anyone than you can remove all roles and profile from his account and assign user group INACTIVE.

0 Kudos

Hi Munish,

That is a custom transaction code and by the look of it applies to SRM where there are more user related data objects (org structure position, attributes etc) that need to be deleted.

0 Kudos

yes thanks , i forgot new to SAP learning

Former Member
0 Kudos

n that case use USERS_GEN and select the option 'Delete User Accounts and Employees' under the Correction section.

Enter the user name (or * for all), and then select the 'Delete Account and Employee' button.

You will then have a message 'Also Delete Employee's Position' so select 'Yes'.

This will delete all the user master records and positions within the org.

I suggest you try this in your development environment first just so you are aware of all that the transaction does.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

If I am not wrong, after you lock the users, to remove the role in order to gain more free licenses,

go to Administrator-->License-->License Administrator, then find the locked users and just unchecked the check box on the right side.

Then I believe you will have more free licenses.

Regards,

Chanly

0 Kudos

Hello Tith,

Thanks for the info, it is very helpful but that is just part of solution for me, I need to know this bold text/queston:

Hence it's a good practice to remove all roles, lock user and move it to special user group such as TERMINATED. The locked users won't be counted as active users. Hence you won't pay for these users.

How exactly I can remove all roles for this user? I understand how to lock user and move it to special user group INACTIVE however..
So if I lock "Jack" and create new user name "Mike" I don't have to pay any licence, right?

Thank you.
Sam

0 Kudos

go to SU10 , change --> user group --> INACTIVE , also check on changes --> role tab --> chcek on remove and copy all roles he has then put the date 2004 somthing (from) to 9999. profile tab --> remove. then save

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can change the UID name of the SAP user in SU01 -> enter the name and then type .UR into the command window. But it is a bad idea usually and you will loose access to spools, workflows, variants, queries, etc...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi,

it does not seem to be working on 7.03 system. I've never heard about this so I assume it's some old hack 🙂

Cheers

0 Kudos

Yep, you are correct - had not noticed before as I never used it anyway but in 7.31 the menu path User  -> Rename is itself renamed to "Rename parameters" but greyed out and cannot be selected anymore.

The ok-code 'RENU' is still there but FM 'RENAME_USER_ON_DB' is completely commented out and exits with obsolete.

Thanks SAP!  🙂

Cheers,

Julius

former_member202471
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately I must tell you that the renaming of user ids is essentially copying and then deleting of the user id.

In this context there are some side effects, which have to be taken into consideration, such as:

- the renamed users lose their original password;

- application protocols (also change logs) refer to the 'old' user id;

- workitems, workflows, batch-jobs still refer to the old user-Id's.

Because of that, our recommendation is to only rename users if it is really necessary. Old references (especially change logs) may not be changed (this is a security-issue).

Besides, SAP do not copy application specific settings, as we cannot know every possible setting of any application.

** Please notice that the renaming function was disabled from release 731 (kindly see SAP Note #1694357).

I'm really sorry for not providing you a more positive answer.

Nevertheless, I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Felipe Fonseca.