cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP5 Upgrade in ECC6-HPUX Cluster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

We are upgrading our ECC prduction system to EHP5 in our production system & which is in cluster and we have dual stack system. My concern is how I should proceed with SUM.  From where I need to start the upgrade. What is the procedure of EHP5 upgrade in a cluster environment. I have done for  Normal ECC sytems. What are the main differences between both and what are the things that can be taken care. I am referring the standard document and mean while I am looking for valuable information from you which can help me to finish this activity.

Thanks,

Satyabrat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you mean from which server/host you need to start the SUM tool it would be where your Central Instance (ASCS in this case) runs.

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ruchit,.

If you can help me to step step approach for this upgrade it will be very helpful for me..

E.g.

1. Identify the instances running in which hosts (CI,ASCS,DB, DI etc..)

2. Stop The cluster services

n.Strat the SUM

Thanks,

Satyabrat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satyabrat,

One correction from my previous post. Upgrade has to start on  on Primary Application server host and not ASCS host. Normally they are often found on the same node but you need to make sure you are running on PAS host. In Non-HA it is is on CI host since ASCS and PAS are not split and are CI.

Given that you have an idea of SUM based upgrade it should help you. Cluster doesn't alter the process dramatically.

Fundamentally cluster would come into picture only when a node (or SPOF service) goes down.

When will this happen? It would happen when SUM brings down SAP. When will that happen ? Downtime phase.

So if SUM brings down SAP  the cluster will get into action and try to restart it elsewhere. You clearly don't want that to happen. So basically you need to disable cluster just when you reach the downtime phase .

This is most important impact.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mohanty

Please continue with your upgrade normally from central instance host,SUM will find it if it is on cluster and continue with the recommendations given by SUM.

Best of Luck

Khalid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi khalid,

I think I need to start the upgrade in my Virtual host as I can see the virtual host name in all of my instances.

Regards,

Satyabrat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Satyabrat

As also said by Ruchit, Please start upgrade from PAF (Primary Application Server) i.e from the system where Central Instance is installed. SUM process will find your SAP application details and will recommend accordingly.

Best of Luck

Khalid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Khalid..

What I can see in the system is Central instance also has the same hostname that is the virtual one.

Can you tell me the way I can check in which node which instances are installed... becoz in my company all the file systems are mounted on NFS  so same partions and volume groups are seen in all three nodes.

Regards,

Satyabrat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear satya

Just check the installation directories on both the nodes. Installation directories will be in C: drives. Here in sapinst directory, it will create sub directories for each instance. There are other ways out for your requirement but this is the simplest which i can think of.

Rgds

Khalid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Khalid,

We have unix system.. and as I mentioned earlier all the partitions are nfs mount so in all three nodes file systems are identical..so it is difficult to find the details for me..

Regards,

Satyabrat