Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh QA from Production

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

I have questions regarding client copy as per below detail:-

1. Can we scope the data to be copied ? i.e. scope of data (i.e. document creation date/year), copy only masterdata or transactional data of the specific module  etc.

2. The storage of QA need to be the same size of Production? If not, how to calculate if the QA storage is sufficient for copy data from production since my production has gone live on 2005 and we haven't refresh QA since 2006.

Appreicate your response.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. The scope of the copied data in case of client export or remote client copy is defined by the copy profiles which are as follows .

SAP_ALL

SAP_CUST

SAP_CUSV

SAP_CUSX

SAP_EXBC

SAP_EXPA

SAP_EXPC

SAP_PROF

SAP_RECO

SAP_UCSV

SAP_UCUS

SAP_UONL

SAP_USER

You can refer to the link http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/99/0a2a887e2511d2a6250000e82deaaa/content.htm

for details on what is copied for each profile .

You can influence the client data copy with expert settings by excluding tables and packages .

Refer SAP note Note 446485 - CC-ADMIN: Special copying options

2. You need to have atleast the space equal to the size of the source client . Determine the size of the source client . Just for info , the client copy would delete all the data of the target client before importing/copying the data of the source client except for certain copy profiles such as SAP_USER.

Refer SAP note , for determining the size of the client.

Note 118823 - CC-ADMIN: Size of a client

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ratnajit for your fast response. Your answer are very helpful.  for question#1, though we select the copy profile, do we have an option to scope down the data to be copied using document creation date etc.?   Due to the limitation of increasing the stroage of QA system.

Regards,

Rujira

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Segregating data based on document creation data etc would not be possible in that case . You can exclude certain tables which you think do not required to be copied but again you need to ensure that the data does not become inconsistent in the target client as a result. I would suggest you add space to the QA system.

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Ratnajit for your help.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rujira,

Your requirement is for copying specific module data only. Now in theory you can achieve this  by either doing a  client copy for selected tables (figuring out those would be a bigger effort) or use TDMS (again for that lot of tables).

However if you are talking refresh client copy goes out of scope. We are talking system copy here ..entire database or still if selective TDMS. Remember if this requirement is for testing you would want you programs in QA to be same as prod initially (and enhanced afterwards with development transports). Now repsository can't be copied during client copy hence a food for though.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

do u mean by using client copy , the enhancement program/repository will not be copied over to the target client? If so, apart from system copy  what would be the solution for this requirement?  the requirement is that we need to referesh our QA (the last QA copied was in 2006) to be the most-up-to date of production system, but we don't want to copy all the application data from production since we have the storage constraint.

Regards,

Rujia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rujira,

Yes in Client copy  the enhancement program/repository will not be copied in target cleint.

In fact this is one of the prerequisites that repository should be consitent in both source and target client.    

You can maually check this by selecting RFC System Comparison push-button in T code SCC9. But I guess it should be consistent if you are following standard TMS path (Dev --> qas --> PRD).

In your case after confirming consistency, you can select SAP_CUSTV or profile according to your requirement which will copy all client dependent customizations.

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rujira,

Client copy can't copy repository. Client is nothing but a value of field MANDT. At DB level client doesn't exist as such. Just an logical entity at SAP level for table entries. Even though your SAP code also resides in tables it doesn't get copied in client copy. Not copy profile supports it nor is client copy meant for that. Simply put repository is above client scope.

Well to solve your conundrum you need to get additional storage. In this case even TDMS won't work since repository of source and target needs to be same.

There is workaround which may however involve some complexity.

Copy your QA over from your development. Now what this will do is bring in changes released from development (moved either to only QA  (Case A) or both QA and production (Case B)) . This will also bring in changes done only in development and not released till date.We need to worry about only those transports that have moved to QA only and not production.We need to worry about only cross client and repository changes (i.e workbench transports not released). For this you need to do some verison retrival excercise. Basically you need to move production versions of the objects from development to QA for all objects that are in class B and class C Once done you QA repository would be perfect and same as production.. It won't be same

Next you can delete the clients in new QA and perform a client copy from production. Make it selective since otherwise you would more or less need the same space as production.Here you can possible use TDMS also.

Well technically this approach is possible but does it make any business sense I am not really convinced.

So best approach is get additional storage and minimize effort.

QA storage (if QA has to be copy of production on regular basis ) should normally match production.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Ruchit for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Vishal for your help.