Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNP PPM with 2 Resources

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Here is the case:

There is a resource which we used to manufacture some products for which it is SNP RELEVANT. The same resource is being used in other products for which it is NOT SNP RELEVANT. So for planning products in SNP we need to maintain this resource as SNP RELEVANT but it affects the planning of other products for which it is not snp relevant as these products will be having two snp relevant resources. So how to tackle this????

A way which i found is that maintaining the Dummy resources of the same as non snp relevant as using it in other products. but this leads to higher capacity available as snp considers there are two different resources.

Regards,

Ashok

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will question the business as to why, a resource used in two different products, is snp relevant  in for one product not the other. The requirements presented in  the second paragraph appear conflicting where you say " but this leads to higher capacity available as snp considers there are two different resources." which implies that you do want to take the capacity consumption the resource into account.

Anyways, just from the solution modeling perspective, you could explore the following:

1. Flag the resource as SNP relevant but update the PPM / PDS of the product where  it is not relevant for with zero (if SAP allows it) or with  very little consumption (like 1 second or so).

2. Create a dummy resource and make that primary resource and make this resource as secondary resource in the PPM. This way, the scheduling will not be impacted by the secondary resource but you will see the capacity consumption on it.

3. Although it sounds less applicable here but please do explore the use of finiteness level where in one run the resource can be finite and infinite in another separate run.

These are just pointers for you to explore further, but I'd first like to ask the business what it really means to have resource play the dual role in terms of capacity planning and interpretation of results. From an understanding of the desired results you will be better positioned to come up with a modeling alternative than the initial thought of flagging  resource as snp relevant or not.