cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-items of a BOM with Variant configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello to all,

I am creating a material (car), which has several sub-items (wheels, engine, etc.). I want the sub-items to have variants (diameter, power, etc.). The problem is that I want those sub-items to be materials as well, not just characteristics of the class CAR.

The material car has no variants to choose, so I don´t know how to develop this material. I have read that I should do it as it was a configurable material. However, if there are no characteristics to develop in the material, how can I do it?

Thank you very much,

Sapanea

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sapanea,

Technically , your sub-items (wheels, engine, etc) are different configurable items or variants for a car ? Logically a Car can have different types of wheel , engine etc. So you do need a configurable material for that. I dont see how you dont need a class for a car when all the subitems you mentioned are going to be variants and configurable ?

If you need to config engine , you need to have it selected in the car as the engine type or the power type needs to be decided for the car ? Therefore you do need to set it up as a configurable product.

Regards

Amber

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amber,

Ok, I understand that. But if I define the engine as a characteristic of the class CAR (and now as a raw material), when doing a sales order, will I have an order for buying or creatig that material? My problem is, I want those sub-items to be "real" materials, with their own material masters, but with variants; not just characteristics of a class as could be the color or the size.

May you please help me to do so? Could you explain to me how to do it?

Thank you very much,

Sapanea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sapanea,

Just create a bom for that. You will need a bill of material for car and then with components etc. If you need to configure the engine further then create engine as a configurable material on its own.

Now if you want the engine to be sold seprately too and own configuration on its own then the profile type should SET ...

Please rveiew the link on how to set up these.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-25224

When creating the configuration profile please select SET.

For more detailed information please read help.sap.com as it provides information in detail.

Regards

Amber

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amber,

I have worked in the same way as the link you had written says. However, I have a problem:

I don´t know why, but the components in the BOM and the characteristics of the class "don´t go together". I decide the configuration, but them, all the BOM is exploded in the sales order, not just the elements I have chosen.

I think that the problem has to be in the dependencies. I can write the dependencies in the BOM. However, I can´t do it as the liks explains in the transaction cu01. My problem is that my materials have numbers to identify them, but I am not allowed to write a number when writing the name of the dependency, so I can´t do it as it is explained:

If you choose to use the editor then you create only a local dependency. The assignment functionality is for global dependencies. (see SAP Online Help - Variant Configuration for more detailed information). If you want to use global dependencies you need to create the dependencies in transaction cu01 first.

I think (for what I can read), that it is not enough by doing the dependency in the BOM.

Could you please help me?

Thank you very much,

Sapanea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sapanea,

You can write a dependency with number. I believe your characteristic has value numeric ? and you want to write a dependency with value numeric ? You can write local or global dependency. Both should work. use the same syntax. You need to do a lot more testing.Please do more research on how the dependencies are created. Please use think links given above

Regards

Amber

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, Amber, Thank you very much for all the help!! =D

Answers (0)