Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with dates when 2 activities have FS relationship

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I created 9 activities:

Activity 2 with FS with Act 3 and act 3 as FS with Act 4..

Activity 5 with FS with Act 6 and act 6 as FS with Act 7..

Activity 8 with FS with Act 9 and act 9 as FS with Act 10..

Activities 4,7 &10 have FS with act 11

Act 2,5 & 8 have FS with Act 1

All activities have constraint set as earliest possible

Activity 1 has Finish date as 1/1/12 so accordingly Activties 2,5,8 has Start date as 2/1/12........   Activities 3,6,9 have duration of 2 days each... so accordingly activities 3,6,&9 should have start date as 4/1/12.. but unfortunately activity 3 &6 has start date as 2/2/12 and but activity 9 has correct start date i.e. 4/1/12...

In other words activity 2&3 has a FS relationship, but system is scheduling start date of activity 3 as before finish date of activity 2... why so??

When i execute scheduling i get an error message..... act 3&6 has start date too early and activity 2&5 have finish date too late...?? it is strange for me... any idea on reason of this system behaviour???

Warm Regards,

Jatinder

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jatinder,

What is the predecessor for activity 11. Is it one of the starting activities like activity 1. If so, I see a problem.

I would advise you to draw the network manually and provide some imaginary dates and calculate dates manually.

I always do this in case of problems, and I get solutions immediately.

If 11 is also a starting activity, then what you will get is a cyclical set of activities within a closed loop and because of this you will always have problems in your network.

Also find out the critical path for your network and the difference between the start date and end date should always be more than the critical path. If not you can potentially end of getting this error message.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,

Predessors for act 11 are 4,7 & 10.

I checked this multiple times, but still not able to understand is there are 2 activities with FS ralationship, how can start date of activoity 2 be before finish of activity 1.... even when activit 3 (successor for Act 2) have start date much later...

Regards,

Jatinder