cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two NWDS show same activities

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I don't know how NWDI associate activities to a specific client (NWDS), so that every developer can see only the activities created by himself!

This is my situation: I've got an NWDS (7.3 SP5) installed in a Virtual Machine; I clone the VM, so that another developer can have an environment well-configured and ready to be used; all seems to work well, except that both the VMs can see not only the activities created locally, but also the activities created in the other VM...

I try to:

- Change Windows Computer Name in the cloned VM;

- Use a copy of NWDI_ADM user in the cloned VM NWDS to log in to DI;

Issue is actually not yet solved... What can I do? How can I "tell" to NWDI that the two VMs are different machines?

Thank you so much!

Manuel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Manual,

do the 2 developers having their own developer users and own NWDS workspaces?

The activity always belongs to a user (that has created it) so if you log on from a different machine (doesn't even have to be the same situation like in your case regarding the VMs) with the same user like NWDI_ADM then of course you will see the very same activity list, since the user is basically the same.

If you use a different user, then what I can imagine is that you did not set up the NWDSs to use a separate NWDS workspace per user (when you start your NWDS it pops up a question which workspace to use. Each developer should use his own folder).

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ervin,

you're right, logging on to DI with a different user solved the issue (I wrote that I have already used a copy of NWDI_ADM user to log in to DI without result, but I was wrong ).

I would like to ask you a clarification (if you know the answer, just out of curiosity): you said that activities belong to a developer user and to a workspace. Normally (I know this is not the best way to do, but commonly this is the situation...), all developers (in their own machine) use the same developer user (NWDI_ADM), but everyone see only their own activities... How is this possible? Are activities also binded to the specific machine in some way?

Thank you so much

Manuel

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

I assume everyone can see his own activity until they are not checking it in.

This is normal since up to that point the activity exists only on that given local pc.

If they are checking in but not activating the activity, I think they will see each others activities

(more precisely their "own" activities, since everyone is NWDI_ADM).

Regarding the practice that you use the same user in my humble opinion it is a very wrong practice.

If I understood right, every developer user uses the very same username called NWDI_ADM?

If yes, then if 1 developer (say out of 10) makes a major mistake , then how can you find out which developer it was? I believe this setup is not efficient when searching for errors related to users.You will only see that NWDI_ADM made a mistake and you have to ask all your developers.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Answers (0)