cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using standard or ext kernels

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

I've gone through 1553300 but dont understand in what scenarios do we use EXT kernel...

1. If both standard & ext kernels are available for my servers, which ones should I use ? & how do they help ? (as in what is different in those kernels).

In the reasons and prerequisites for 1553300 they say "When the OS or the compiler which are used during the builds run out of vendor support customers could run into a support problem. SAP therfore needs to provide a newer kernel which is built with the newer / supported version of the OS and compiler. Against this background, an update of the SAP kernel make environment is required from time to time resulting in newer kernels being made available for the customer."

2. If SAP is looking forward to provide kernel extensions for those OS/DB combinations (which are not supported with Kernel 720)... how is it that we find several configurations supported with both 720 & 720_EXT.?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. If both standard & ext kernels are available for my servers, which ones should I use ? & how do they help

You should use 720_EXT if your OS support it. Funtionallity wise I don't think theres a big difference is (as you mentioned above) that 720_EXT use the latest compilers for enhanced support.

720_EXT have some benefits for example, 720_EXT brtools also has much better integration with Oracle client 11g.

Note 819829 - Oracle Instant Client Installation and Configuration on Unix

how is it that we find several configurations supported with both 720 & 720_EXT.?

Kernel 720_EXT usage and compatibility is available on,

Note 1553301 - 7.20 EXT Kernel - Usage

Regards, Juan