cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup_root_dir alternative locations?

0 Kudos

My dear fellows

I'm looking into some sort of cheap (i.e. not going down the High Availability route unless I have to) resilience for SAP/Oracle backup and redo log locations.

Looks like Oracle's LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 / LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 functionality will allow me to switch redo log location if oraarch fills up, or if DEST_1 becomes unavailable so that's great.

So now I'm looking at the same for backups.  I notice that I can specify alternative targets with backup_root_dir in the initSID.sap file, like so (I'm using Solaris):

backup_root_dir=(/backup,/backup2)

and the SAP documentation says that will work in the event of /backup filling up.   Great.  However, on this system, /backup is rather large.  What's more likely is that /backup, an NFS filesystem on a fairly flaky server, will become unavailable.

So the question is, given the above backup_root_dir configuration, will my SAP backup flip to /backup2 if /backup disappears?   The documentation doesn't appear to give the answer.

I can try it out of course, but it's tricky to emulate vanishing servers...

Thanks for any help!  Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

backup_root_dir does not provide alternative location. It provides, parallel disk backup option. Check the document, below;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/47/0b9a93434f57dde10000000a1553f7/content.htm

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik