cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore through online+Redo Log backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I want to do system refresh of development server from Production Server.As there is Scheduled Backup Pattern as Daily Online Database + Redo Logs.

Is it possible to do system refresh from this Backup?One more question-this online backup is in external HDD.can i perform system refresh from

this backup.As i got oracle 9.2 as my DB and windows 2003 Server is my OS.

Kindly suggest me the steps to perform this action.I'm new into Oracle.It's really urgent guys.

Thanks

Ajitabh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajitabh,

Yes, it is possible to system refresh;

1) Create control.sql by executing the command at the productive system, below;

alter database backup controlfile to trace resetlogs;

2) Goto "/oracle/<SID>/saptrace/usertrace" and open newly created trace file,

3) Copy lines between "STARTUP NOMOUNT" and "-- Commands to re-create incarnation table" strings. Please note that these strings will not be included, just between of them

4) Create a control.sql file by ora<sid> user and paste the SQL statement, at the 3rd step

5) Now, you can change all the paths, regarding your needs in the file

6) Now that you have a control.sql file, then you can create the control files,

7) Delete all control files on the database. They have been determined in the SPFILE or init<SID>.ora file.

😎 On ora<sid> user

a) sqlplus / as sysdba

b) startup nomount

c) @<path>/control.sql

d) shutdown

9) Now apply the online redolog files;

a) startup mount

b) recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;

c) alter database open resetlogs;

d) shutdown

e) startup

f) exit

After you apply the steps respectively, the database should be started successfully.

Or another way is following the system copy procedure, provided by SAP;

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000171822011E

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Thanks for your help.

As I told you I got full online Backup and which is in External HDD.

If I attached the External HDD to the dev server.Which path should be edited and where?

Kindly suggest.

Thanks

Ajitabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> If I attached the External HDD to the dev server.Which path should be edited and where?

Copy sapdata(n) files into "/oracle/<DBSID>" folder. Then, apply the procedure. Please note that if you don't want to lose the previous database, move existing files to another media or path.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Ajitabh,

Please also have look on below document and you do your activity with help of this doc.

System Copy Procedure

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As I am unable to read the Tape Drive Data.Now I got backup files in sapdata folder 27KB.

Is it the right backup size I got?How to do it?I'm totally confused guys.Kindly help me to resolve the

issue.It's really urgent.

Thanks

Ajitabh

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Ajitabh,

You can find parameter in above system copy link which are point to External drive.

I'm totally confused guys.

please follow above orkun reply or that link which I shared in my last reply.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Orkun has provided you with the right solution. here is the detailed one if you still dont understand. Read it throroughly you will understand:

http://www.saptechies.com/system-copy-guides/

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to read the Tape Drive Data or how to transfer the tape drive backup into a External USB Drive?I'm totally new into tape drives.Are there any commands to read or tarnsfer tape drive data to an external USB HDD?

Kindly help me out.

Thanks

Ajitabh

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Ajitabh,

If you want to restore a backup from External Drive than you have to change parameters in initSID.sap.

exp:

backup_type=????

backup_dev_type = Tape

backup_root_dir = (Path of External Drive/Destination)

stage_root_dir =(Path of External Drive/Destination)

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

Thanks for your reply.I know that I have to change the path of backup_root_dir and stage_root_dir.

As I want to know how to take the Tape Drive backup in USB Drive?As Tape Drive is connected to

Production Server.My purpose is to take the backup in USB Drive from Tape Drive and restore it into

the Dev Server.Can you please help me out?

Thanks

Ajitabh

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ajitabh,

If you want to restore from Tape to USB drive then you don't need to change the parameters in initSID.sap file. there are exist some utilities for this.

You mentioned the server 2003, So, You can use NTBACKUP utility to restore the backup from Tape to USB drive.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

I have already used NTBACKUP Command.But it's not showing any files in the Restore and manage

media.and it's showing sucessfull backup in DB13.how to check?

Kindly help me out.

Thanks

Ajitabh

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

If Tape drive is successfully connected with your server then tape drive should be appear during restore window and you can select required backup for restore.

please have a look on below link for restore backup.

NTBackup Restore

Issues during Restore

If problem still persist then please contact with your Hardware Vendor.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thanks for your help guys.

Issue Resolved.

Thanks

Ajitabh

Answers (0)