cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time characteristics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am beginner and have some basic doubt.......could you please clarify the same ??

I am trying to bring data from flat file to infocube. So in this regad I have created chara fileds and key fields in InfoObject. But when I created the infocube and generating the transfer rules it is asking atleast one time chara filed is to be selected. But in infoObject I didn't (as there is no option to generated time chara fileds........only simply chara fileds and key fileds are there) defined (or found) any time chara fileds.

Could you please tell me the significance of time chara filed in update rules or infocube generation ??

Thanks in advance

kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

digambar_narkhede
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar ,

Infocube is a Central Data Container that is designed basically with three types of data :Key Figure ,Characteristic and Time Charact. Update Rules specify how data is uploaded from infosource to infocube and update rule must be specified for each KF abd Charact. of the infocube .When you are loading data from flat file to cube the Infosource structure need to be in phase with the Flat file sequence so that the each type of data from the source system or flat file is placed in the right field of the Cube

<b>Time Characteristics define the buckets in which you view, plan and store data</b>

and to hold this data in related periods Time Charact needs to be defined

digambar_narkhede
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar ,

Standard Time Characteristic are provided by SAP such as 0CALMONTH,0CALDAY, 0CALYEAR etc which are added in the Infosource Structure .

These time characteristic are of Data Type NUMC (Characteristic Strings with only digits) under the General Tab Page while defining the Charct.

Regds// Digs...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Digs

Could you please expalin me the improtance of that.......?? why should we select either of those ?? i.e 0CALMONTH,0CALDAY, 0CALYEAR etc.

thanks

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Palnati,

"The InfoObjects that are to be added to the InfoCube are divided into the categories characteristic, time characteristic, key figure and unit. You have to transfer at least one InfoObject from each category." If there are no key figures of type quantity or amount that have units, units is optional.

You have to assign chars. to each of the dimensions and also include a time char. like 0CALMONTH, 0CALWEEK etc. The system assigns the time chars automatically to the time dimension. Thats how the design of a cube is. Thats one reason for your problem and secondly when you are dealing with historical data or forecast for DP and SNP, both are bucket oriented or data is divided as per time. You need a time char here anyway. SO better include a time char. in your infsource or add a time char. from the list of object.

For more reference, take a look at the following link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/80/1a6459e07211d2acb80000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

If you still have doubts, I suggest reading a little about infocubes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.