cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGUI for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am having a hard time finding any information about SAPGUI and support on Ubuntu 12.04. Are there plans to support this release in the near future? I have heard that SAPGUI 7.30 for Java will include support for 12.04 but I can't find a timeframe on when it will be released.

If anyone has SAPGUI 7.20 working on Ubuntu 12.04, any info on how to get it working properly would be excellent.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have used the SAP Gui 7.20 for Java under an old version of Ubuntu[Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to be exact] and it worked fine and supported the new SAP Signature Theme. I have remotely accessed a client from that,but a word of caution. It does not support certain transactions like Smart forms and the Screen Painter's graphical editor,as it is dependent on Windows based frameworks. Secondly creating  Login entries is not as user friendly as compared to SAP Gui for Windows,as you have to create a string of all logon settings separated by commas. You can also reference Limitations of SAP Gui for Java  with the following document:

ftp://ftp.sap.com/pub/sapgui/java/documents/SAPGUIforJava_TechEd2007.pdf

I hope you find this useful.

Regards,

Fahad

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Itś been a while, but i just wanted to inform you that i succesfully installed SAP Gui for Java 7.30 on my 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS laptop with java 7 64 bit installed.

Just download the linux installer and install using:

java -jar PlatinGUI730Linux_0-20008877.JAR (the JAR filename may differ) as described in the documentation.

I used the default installation paths

Shortcuts are not placed on the desktop, but you can start SAP GUI like every other program via the Dash.

I have not yet encountered any problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just followed your instructions and so far I was successful with the installation under Ubuntu 12.10. But right now I do have some problems with the string, can you tell me what kind of connection you made to get the SAP landscape running?

regards

bluebird

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

please have a look at chapters 6, 7 and 9 of the manual part of the SAP GUI for Java installation.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rolf, in the meantime I was able to install the SAP Java Gui on Ubuntu 12.10.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andrew,

Its not tedious but its tricky installation. It worked for me

You need fire this command java -jar PlatinGUI-Linux-720.jar on ubuntu then it will ask for dependent sapgui-package_0.0.10_all.deb package. then fire "sudo apt-get install sapgui-package"  by root and install that package (you will be required internet connection on ubuntu sytem.)

Thanks

Ganesh Rajput

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ganesh, It worked for me...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ganesh...!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for the information.

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

SAPGUI for Java 7.20 rev 9 officially supports the following distros.

• SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
  • openSUSE 11.4 and 12.1
  • Fedora 15 and 16
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
  • Ubuntu 11.10

Kind Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Project Planning Board, Network graphical view via CJ20n etc., are not not working even in SAP GUI for java 7.30 rev9, error is initialization of graphics is not possible in JAVA environment and suggesting to use only windows front end. Any solution please let me know.

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

the functionality in SAP GUI for Windows is implemented as an ActiveX, which is not available in SAP GUI for Java. This is a known limitation of SAP GUI for Java and Html, please refer to SAP note 416139.

For those screens, SAP GUI for Windows needs to be used (e.g by WTS).

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

former_member209924
Contributor
0 Kudos

I've installed 720 on Ubuntu 12.04, but it is terrible.  I would recommend waiting until 730 is released.

730 is out for Win32 BTW....

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. Hopefully SAPGUI 7.30 for java will be released soon. I can't find anything from SAP on a timeframe. I suppose i could downgrade to ubuntu 11.10 as that is supported under SAPGUI 7.20...

I am running windows in a Virtual machine but eventually I'd like to be able to run SAPGUI on linux again.