cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading a SAP System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Community,

I would like to Upgrade an old SAP System to ECC 6.0 with some EHPs. Problem is: I don't have any clue how to. I have downloaded two Upgrade Guides, each about 200 pages long (Upgrade Guide and Master Upgrade Guide). Still I don't know where to start?

The system meant to be upgraded has a Kernel Release 620 and runs on a Windows 2000x32 OS with MaxDB. The SAP Version itself is 610, 620.

So, I download a few files via Market Place -> SAP Software Download Center -> Installations and Upgrade -> Browse -> SAP Application Components -> SAP ERP -> SAP ERP 6.0 -> Inst and Upgrade -> MaxDB.

I have downloaded "Upgrade Export Files for SAP  ERP 6.0 SR3" and "ERP 6.0 SR3 Upgrade Master Windows Server on IA32 32bit ".

I have started the "prepare" file and it extracted some files to a directory I've given it. In this directory there are some html files. Launching the index.html a Browserwindow opens with a few options.

Clicking on "Start Upgrade Assistant" doesn't have any effect. A new browser Window opens, telling me the "the Page can not be displayed".

Im stuck at that point right now; I would appreciate any hint or assistance in this.

Please don't let me die stupid!

Best regards!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well ok, I solved that one. I can launch the Upgrade Assistant now.

So, lets start all over again. I first need to know which files I need for my task.

If I have understood you correctly, I need the Upgrade Master for NW7.0 EHP2.

Which RDBMS would I download, and more importantly, which Kernel?

Im sry for my nubquestions, but im pretty new to SAP!

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What Oracle version are you on?... 

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

It ain't oracle, its maxdb.

Juan, I really appreciate ur help!

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which RDBMS would I download, and more importantly, which Kernel?

You need to check the Upgrade Guide, It will tell you the Minimal MaxDB release requiered for the Upgrade. Kernel for ERP6 EHP5 is 720.

All this info is on the upgrade guide, I think you need to read it in detail.

Regards, Juan

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kerem,

First, Whats your source version? (kernel 620 must mean its either a 4.6C or a 4.7EE SAP system)

I can see your system is running in a 32bit OS...  you should first consider getting a 64bit box that can run your upgraded system for the forseable future. While upgrading you should consider that going from most likely a non-unicode system to unicode one require extra resources too...

ERP 6.0 SR3 Upgrade Master Windows Server on IA32 32bit

Now if you want to upgrade to ERP6 EHP5 you need to download the Upgrade Master for NW7.0 EHP2... (yes it sounds confusing but ERP6 EHP5 is based on NW7.0 EHP2)

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Juan,

yes it is 4.6C. Thanks for your hints.

I would like to ask something different: I try to start the Upgrade Assistant, but it won't work. It shows me the following error messages:

I use Java 1.6_22. On a friend's PC it works perfectly fine. Any clue?