cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching Documents in MDM and send it to ECC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

Please let me any wayout to attach document(s) in MDM and send it across to ECC.

I need to provide this attachment facility to end User (via EP).

Do let me know what requirements/changes to be done  on MDM Console, Data manager and Syndicator and in any other areas..

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasenjit,

Kindly check below link related to similar query:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3204270

I am sure this link will provide info to decide on your solution.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ankush for your suggestions.

We have already tried the same by creation a  lookup field which  links to the binary object table, but in Portal when user is trying to attach any documents, all other existing Documents in that Repository is getting displayed. Any way out to disable it, so that user have only option to upload a new file not selecting from existing repository.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Prasenjit,

What you can do is that once user clicks on 'Upload File', he should be able to select file from desktop. You can save that attached file temporarily and add that file in the Binary Objects table by running your code in background so that user does not see any screen of MDM table or something.

This way you can avoid showing already attached files to user.

I am sure if you would be able to achieve your requirement by doing changes in MDM itself, you need to do coding in Portal only so that input is stored temporarily and then add this file to repository using some Java API in the background. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You may have to check the authority given to the user who are uploading the document.

Change their authority from 'All' to 'Create'.

Regards,

Abhishek

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have to implement that by coding.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush

I will check on your inputs and see if I can do any Coding to get the same restricted.

Also, can you advice if attachments are uploaded along with Data , how much load it will put to MDM Server.

As I am expecting atleast one .PDF attachment per record. (around 100 - 350 k)

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek

Thanks for the advice, But I could not see any values/rights provided in MDM Console  that can help me in restricting users authority for attachments.

Please guide where can I find it.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In the repository, once loaded and logged in, you will see a Admin table.

In that you ought to see the roles and authority details.

You may refer the MDM Console Guide pg 105 and 282, also refer the MDM Security Guide.

Which version of MDM are you working with

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are using MDM Ver - 7.1 (7.1.05.82)

For attaching an Object, I'm using a Main Table in which a Filed is added (type -Lookup [Ext. Binary Object]  (multi-valued)

Further, In MDM Console I could see Admin, under which Roles are given, but I could not find any attribute for "Create only", There are 02 attributes "Read Only" and "Read/Write"

Please advice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Generally we have create privileges for main table records, for object tables it may be different.

If your requirement is for, user not to see the already uploaded documents, create a named search or mask for current date.

Mask are static, while named search are dynamic

This depends on frequently the user upload in a day.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

have you used, the lookup field as PDF.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasenjit,

It would not take much time as far as i think(It should get uploaded in a minute). One thing you can do is that once user Saves all the data, you can start processing in background and to end user a message can be displayed like 'Data has been saved' etc.. This way end user will not have to wait till processing is complete and also you will get time to upload files. But you have to make sure that addition of document should not fail due to some unforeseen reasons(connection loss or something), otherwise it might lead to data loss issues and rework for end users.

One more thing here is that data updation might become slower once the number of documents increase in repository. Processing could become slow and also repository loading/unloading, archive, unarchive etc functions will take time because of more documents in the repository. I hope this helps you.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush

Thanks for your inputs.

I am preferring  to upload attachment from EP only, giving external link is not recommended as we need to use the same Repository in MDM to store data.

Also, do let me know any way out to Hide  attachments already uploaded in MDM when viewed from EP.

Regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

One of colleagues have tried to attach PDF's in MDM Data Manager, and the same is available in EP.

In console, you define a Field Type, as Main Lookup PDF, you can have more than one attachment too, for that select multi-value lookup pdf.

With this field you can attach PDF's in MDM repository. The same field is used for attached from EP.

Now the question is sending it back to ECC, thats the tricky part, this is really out of the box thing havent tried this yet.

IDoc are not capable of having attachment without customizing, the better option is to have ABAP Proxies implemented, or ABAP API.  With ABAP API's you will be able to a directly get access to MDM tables, from there select the field and store in the ECC Tables. For this you will require an expert abap programmer.

Hope this solves your query,

Regards,
Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhishek.

I have already done all those things using Lookup (Ext. binary Object). I'm able to upload Data from EP. No Issues.

But my main question is that -

How can I hide the existing Data (attachments) already uploaded in Repository. I do not want users (from EP) to view what has already been uploaded in Repository (Old Data) .

Regarding sending data to ECC, I will try the same as commented by you and let you know.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

To hide the existing data, create a Named search for current date i.e. Today's Date.

So users will only see, that have been uploaded recently and not all.

This is one solution, other solution would be be use, JAVA API's

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Both,

I think using Mask would be better option than using Named Search. Because in Named Search user will still be able to see which all documents have been added today. And the number could be large if users performing such operations are more. So you can assign one dummy record in Mask and display them to the user so that user will see only one dummy document every time. Please correct me if i am wrong.

But i think the best possible way should be hiding the details using Portal capabilities like explained in my earlier replies. Thank you.

Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Using Mask is also good, but thing masks are static, where as, named search are dynamic.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush / Abhishek

Thanks for all your inputs and help support.

Please advise, I have added a field in my Main Table (for attachment).

No separate Table is used for this.

Can masking is possible in this case or I need to create a separate Table for attachments.

Also, please suggest me the steps if a new Table has to be created.

Regards

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The field should of type PDF Lookup, as to a PDF attachment can be done.

Masking is very much possible.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek

Creating a Mask need a Main Table to be Linked. My Main Table is Customer master in which on filed "Attachments" is created.

If I put Mask then my Customer Codes will also get masked, I need to Mask only existing attachments not other Records.

Please advice.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasenjit,

Can you please confirm if you tried implementing this using coding?

And yes, we won't be able to mask only attachments as there is no option to do so.

So kindly check the possibility of implementing this through coding.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush

I'm trying only with functionality provided within MDM.

Till now, no coding is used.

Fine, I will try with API's.

But if in any case this is possible with MDM functionality do let me know.

Regards

Prashant