cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy using ( Win 2003 + SQL 2005)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to do system copy by using our quality system (QAC) to new target system which will be DAC (Development system).

The resources which my client has are Windows 2003 and MS SQL server 2005 with enough disk space & RAM, and CPU strength is also good.

The source system is ECC 6.0 ( ERP 2005 SR 3 / BASIS Rel. 700 / Kernel level 254), and we want to go for system copy using SQL attach / dettach database specific method mentioned in system copy guide (systemcopy_70_sr3_abap.pdf)

I have already referred following documents for the same.

1.  systemcopy_70_sr3_abap

2.  Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

3.  Note 1480785 - Creating a Modified Windows Kernel DVD

The question which I have are as below

1. Do I need to go for modified kernel DVD as mentioned in Note 1480785, as standard installtion of ECC 6 gives kernel level 144 where as my source system is having kernel level 254

2. I am referring Netweaver guide as there is no system copy guide for ECC 6

3.What are the additional post steps I need to do after sysem copy

4. Finally what all things I need to take care as a precaution except source system Back-up.

Thank you for your response.

Best Regards,

Kiraang.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member209924
Contributor
0 Kudos

Backup your Source database to a flat file and use that to restore your Target database.  If your source is on a different Kernel version, then you should replace your Target with this as well.

Please go through these links to familiarize yourself with System Copies.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8324

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

As I have told before that standard installation will give me kernel level 144, where as my source system is on 254 level, so according to you I need to modify my kernel DVD before going for system copy, right?

Or what if I am using standard kernel DVD for installation and later on after installation I upgrade my kernel, does it make any difference. I mean I will follow below steps

1. will install Database

2. will Restore DB using source DB flat files ( attach / dettach method)

3. will use standard DVD's ( not modified kernel DVD) , and will select system copy option for installation i.e

SAP ERP 2005 SR 3- > MS SQL Server -> Target system installation -> Central system -> Based on AS ABAP->Central system

4. and system will be ready for Post steps

Kindly let me know if above steps are correct to go ahead ( without modifying kernel DVD)

Thanks & Regards,

Kiraang.

former_member209924
Contributor
0 Kudos

You are on the right track.

First off, is DAC installed and working with the delivered Kernel (144).  If so then proceed with Step 2 and 3.  If DAC is not installed, then do a fresh installation then proceed with Steps,1, 2,3.

There is no need to modify the DVDs for anything.  System copy with SQL database is real simple, you just need to replace the Target DB with Source DB.  You can do this by backing up the Source DB to a flat file (XXX.bak) and replace the Target DB with this flat file.

Your Step #3 is unnecessary if you are doing a database restore.

1.) Install the new system with DVD you received as usual (with Kernel 144).

2.) Replace the Target (DAC) DB and Kernel with Source (QAC) DB and Kernel.

3.) Proceed with post refresh activities.

This should work.

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Till now I have not installed my DAC system, and for database restore I will use .mdf (data) & .ldf (log) files not .bak file ( because that will be easier & faster).

And one more tricky situation here is that, I am going to install DAC system on host which already has one DEV system installed & running. Which means my DAC system will be second system on single host, anyway that doesn't matter as we will keep proper backup & make the DEV system shut until DAC gets installed.

So as per your helpful suggestions, I will follow the steps 1 to 4 without modifying kernel DVD, and will upgrade my kernel once DAC system will be up, and if require support packs too.

Kindly comment on this.

Best Regards.

Kiraang.

former_member209924
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yep, looks good to me.  Try it out and let me know what happens.

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Finally I installed my second development system using homogeneous system copy.

This is ECC 6.0 SR 3 MSSQL+WinNT Central instance homogeneous system copy, we have followed database specific system copy, so skipping Source system export.

As you know we already had one system install (DEV)on concern Host, and I installed another DAC system. I approached following way.

> shut DEV system take its normal backup if require

> take flat file bkp of target server (QAC), shut SAP instance first then take restart of database twice and then again shut it. After that simply use copy paste command of windows. No need to use any sql specific attach dettach method.

> usr/sap bkp of DEV system

> registry bkp DEV system, if require

> create system restore point, if possible

> install DB instance on DEV host as a SQL named DB instance (DAC)

> attach QAC data files to newly DAC DB instance (rename flat files for eg. QACDATA1 to DACDATA1 for all the files including log), also create respective directories and store flat files there. After that attach datafile with below query, For eg..

use master

CREATE DATABASE DAC ON

(FILENAME='S:\DACDATA1\DACDATA1.mdf'),

(FILENAME='S:\DACDATA2\DACDATA2.ndf'),

(FILENAME='S:\DACDATA3\DACDATA3.ndf'),

(FILENAME='L:\DACLOG1\DACLOG1.ldf') FOR ATTACH

> now your database is ready, then begin SAPinst.exe and follow MSSQL system copy selection

Software life cycle-> system copy->MSSQL server->Target system installation->Central system->Based on AS ABAP->Central system

>you can see schema is still of target server, let it be. SAPinst will change that during execution

> After completion of SAPinst, DAC system got ready for post processing.

Reference documents are : Netweaver 7 SR3 system copy guide for Windows+SQL

and Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database. 

It was the fastest installation and we used old installation master DVD which had kernel level 144 which I upgraded later and did post steps successfully.

Thanks Ravi your inputs were really helpful.

Best Regards,

Kiraang.

Answers (0)