Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock comparison 3PL warehouse / SAP warehouse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I need your opinion on the below:

The WM-activities of my client are managed by several 3PL's. We are currently implementing SAP ECC for this client, and have foreseen several interfaces with these 3PL's. One of the interfaces will be used to reconciliate the stock of the 3PL with the stock in my client's SAP ECC.

In SAP WM, we will setup a HU-managed warehouse for each 3PL. Next to the standard storage types (901, 902, 999), we will create one storage type with only one storage bin for each 3PL. This single storage bin must contain all the available stock which is located at the 3PL warehouse.

I'm investigating how to do inventory reconciliation for these 3PL-warehouses. As said, there will be an interface available; via this interface, every 3PL will send us a daily report with the stock overview of his warehouse. This report will contain HU-numbers, material numbers, stock category, QTY, etc.

Right now, I'm still struggling to find the best way to process the received stock overview. Because we are using HU-managed warehouse, LX23 cannot be used. In my opinion, the process should be as follows:

1.     LX16: Create physical inventory document for 3PL-warehouse via continuous inventory

2.     LI11N: Enter the received stock overview from the 3PL as counted stock (ideally, this will be automated by a development)

3.     LI20: Clear differences in WM

4.     LI21: Clear differences in IM

Are there any other possibilities, or is this the best way to go?

Thanks for your input!

Regards,

Oliver Hahn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with Sandip, the steps which you mentioned (LX16,LI11N...) these are for physical inventory. For this process the base it your storage bin in Warehouse, where you are doing physical inventory and any differences will be write off.

Now as you are talking about "reconciliation" is that mean you are already updating stock on Goods receipt and goods issue in 3PL warehouse? and at the end of the day you want to reconcile stock in SAP and 3PL?, if you doing these then you can use physical inventory process for reconciliation.

BR

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, we're going to use the WM-physical inventory process to cover this process.

Regards,

Oliver

former_member182609
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For 3PL logistics what are the activities you are doing in in your third party warehouse ?

If you are only managing stock inventory level in SAP and warehouse activities and stock tracking in 3PL logistics then now warehouse config is required in SAP.

What ever movements happen at warehouse level it will update in SAP( GR,GI ,Goods transfers..etc) will update in SAP through IDocs.

If you want to reconcilition  the stock then you need to compare the stock snap shot in SAP and stock snap shot wWM then according mismatch you need to issue Stock adjustment idocs from warehouse system as you are not doing anything in SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The 3PL-warehouses are doing standard inbound and outbound processes. Next to that, they might be doing some repacking, but processes like kitting or VAS are not in scope.

Only thing I want to do with this particular interface, is check if the stock at the 3PL still matches the stock in our SAP system. This should usually be the case because all movements are already interfaced, so this will only be an additional check.

former_member182609
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Then do stock take in warehouse system according to adjustments then issue idocs to sap system to match the inventory.

You can do physical inventory process in SAP also but you need to use

HUINV01 - Create

HUINV02 - Change

HUINV07 - Display

HUINV03 - Enter Quantities Counted

HUINV04 - Analysis of Differences

HUINV05 - Clear

HUINV06 - Delete Status PHYSICALLY INVENTORIED

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hahn,

First doubt I have in your scenario is, how are you updating the stock in ECC system when you received it in your warehouse? Like in case of Goods Receipt.

You mentioned that, you are maintaining one storage bin for each 3PL storage type, then It is better to integrate these 3PL storage types/bins with the real time storage type/bins from SAP WM.

Also when you will be running the physical inventory steps (e.g. Lx16, Li21 etc,), then what would be the refernce quantity you are considering to do it. because if system dosent know what is the available quantity in the storage bins then how would you run PI for that storage type.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

I suggest the best way is to keep the 3PL storage types and SAP ECC storage types in sync. e.g. whenever you are doing the GR stock should be updated in the 3PL as well as ECC WM storage bins like our standard SAP WM case.

Thanks,

Sandip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandip,

Thanks for the reply. Let me clarify the process:

First of all, the 3PL-warehouses are not using SAP. They are using their own WMS-applications. Interfacing between their system and our SAP ECC will be done via SAP PI/XI.

Secondly: Next to the inventory reconciliation interface, we will also use interfaces for the goods receipt and goods issue at 3PL. This means that every relevant move (outbound inbound, posting change) at the 3PL will be communicated to our SAP ECC system.

The Inventory reconciliation interface will only be used as check to make sure that all relevant postings have been processed correctly. So, the reference QTY during physical inventory should usually match the QTY that was reported by the 3PL. Theoretically, they should only differ if something went wrong with one of the other interfaces.

Hope this clarifies the process.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

I think then its fine to use physical Inventory process, because you are checking actual physical quantity received in storage bin using 3PL and stock updated in ECC and if you found any descrpancies then you can clear that off.

Also, I suggest in such cases of complex integration it is better to have trigger for failed events from XI and one dedicated person to monitor those failed events.

Thanks,

Sandip