cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding datafile using Brtools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

The tablespace of my BW Production database is 90% full so i decided to add some datafiles in the tablepace using BRTOOLS. But when i tried to add datafile then SAP is creating a separate folder for every file it is creating. What we need is that SAP creates files in the folder specified by us and use it for files further added in future. For example:

If i want to add file in PSAPSR3 tablespace then SAP gives the following location: /oracle/SID/sapdata2/sr3_51/sr3.data51, what we need is that we specify the location: /oracle/SID/sapdata2/sapdb_files/ and in future SAP creates all files related to tablespace PSAPSR3 in that location. Is this possible, does this create any inconsistency in SAP?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Yasir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

beside the point, that I do not see any benefit in using different pathnames than SAP convention,

there is no problem with putting Oracle datafiles anywhere you like.

You can enter any location manually by changing the path in the last menu before execution.

I am not sure, if it is possible do select a different default path on UNIX. On Windows, you

can set environment SAPDATA_HOME i.e to F:\ORACLE\SID, but if sapdata2 is located

on G:, you can set SAPDATA2 to G:\ORACLE\SID\SAPDATA2 to indicate,

that it is located on an other drive.

So "it might be possible" to change brtools default by setting

SAPDATA2=/oracle/SID/sapdata2/sapdb_files

but I never tried this on UNIX. You need to try yourself if this works.

If you only use this because of mount point restrictions, why don't you use an additional

sapdata filesystem? There is no problem to use even sapdatas in the "teens" like

/oracle/SID/sapdata19 or even higher

brbackup is checking dba_data_files to collect what is backed up, so no problem with putting

files elsewhere, beside the point, that anyone not closely knowing this system might

do something stupid, by delete wrongly assumed "obsolete" files.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi volker,

thanks for your reply. I have already tested this thing on Linux test server and it is working fine. I just need to make sure that my actions donot create any inconsistency in SAP as SAP follows standards.

I need SAP Database files in one folder due a reason that i have also a DR-Site for my production database and it is created using Oracle Data Guard. The problem we are facing is that whenever we add files in production database SAP creates file in different folder causing us to define that folder in parameter file of Standby database using parameter : DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT. I have recently added 40 files in my production database and at standby site i have manually created 40 folders and then added mapping of these location in parameter file of standby.

If we specify only 1 folder and SAP creates all files in that folder then we need to specify the following in parameter file of standby database only once:

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=("/oracle/SID/sapdata2/sapdb_files","/oracle/SID/sapdata2/sapdb_files")

Now, whether i add 1 or 50 files in my production database i donot need to change anything at standby.

If there's another way, kindly let me know so that my issue would be resolved.

Thanks,

yasir