Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Composer standards, patterns, best practices or naming conventions

former_member184387
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

<u><b>Does anyone have any technical document about Visual Composer (VC) standards, patterns, best practices or naming conventions?</b></u> It doesn’t have to be anything official or very formal. Just a starting point would be fine. I couldn’t find anything in SDN.

What I was searching for VC, is something like this Naming Conventions document for Web Dynpro:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/e4/d7fb402eb5f76fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Since I couldn’t find anything about this issue, I’m thinking that perhaps there is no need for VC development standards. Once the VC “development” model is much more of a high level tool than Web Dynpro, for instance, maybe there is no need to adhere to naming conventions or development standards because VC objects and models are very clear and automatically standardized by the modeling tool. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Raphael Barboza

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raphael,

as Luis mentioned for starting with VC you should have a look in the wiki. There is also a tutorial available on help.sap.com.

I develop products based on SAP NetWeaver especially BI. I think in future releases of VC we need a tool for maintain different versions of the models. At the moment it is possible to export the models and store the gml files on a project share, but this is not convenient.

We are also faced with the problem of the naming conventions, because you can create x models on your system with the same name. That means if the system is a developer system you must have strict directives for your developers. If the developers do not adhere to the naming convention, then you find a lot of models in your PCD with the name "test". This requirement is not necessary if you have a small R&D, but in our case our R&D department grows and grows and it becomes difficult to find the model in the PCD. Now my developer team has our own system. But in this case it means you need more ressources for your R&D and of course more administrative tasks for your IT.

But all in all I think Visual Composer is that tool of the future and it makes the developers life better.

Maybe in the next release of Visual Composer all the issues are solved...

While there's life, there's hope.

Best Regards,

Marcel

former_member184387
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you veru much, Marcel! Your response was really helpful and made easy to understand theory vs. real world.

But your R&D department make use of some naming conventions to avoid the mentioned conflict? If yes, could you send me?

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Raphael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raphael,

yes we have some naming convention. It makes sense because we use naming conventions in the whole product development. I'm sorry that I can not provide you with our naming conventions, because I'm not allowed to publish them. It also wouldn't help you, because we had reserved our own namespace for developing and a product dependend logic. That means, if your company has also reserved a namespace you should use this with further conventions, e.g. <yournamespace><further conventions>.

I'm sorry that I'm not allowed to give you further informations.

Best Regards,

Marcel

former_member184387
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks again, Marcel. It was a great help!

Best regards,

Raphael Barboza

former_member4251
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Raphael,

You can check the SDN Wiki page

Portal -> Visual Composer

There you will find a links named Getting Started, i'm sure it will help you a lot!

Kind Regards,

Luis