cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two types for (Length of key for coding)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

we are using Length of key for coding for our Projects is 2. and then the Projects are running with DR-001 or CH-056 etc Project definitions. but if we're went to increase our coding key  from 2 to 3 , lets suppose for EPC-001, then the existing Projects are also changed to DR0-01, CH0-01. and we don't want to change our existing Projects Codings.

so, my question is can I use two types of length of coding.

Kindly Reply.

Regards

Govind

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please check if the indicator SL in OPSK has been checked or not? If checked then please uncheck the same and see if the issue stands resolved or not.

Thanks and Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear B.P.Singh,

I've unchecked the SL , how can i change the PL, when i m going to change it from 2 to 3 , it shows that

Projects/WBS elements with identification "DR" exist

Message no. CS084

so, can u please describe me that how can I use 2 or 3 characters for project coding like DR , CH & EPC, CBM Project Types.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you have any project in the system that exists only as DR in the Project Definition code?

Please do also refer to the OSS note 82434 for further clarification.

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos

Dear govind aggarwal,

It seems you have project with "DR", you should change the project to something else as it is mention

you cannot extend the key if the external number is only "DR". The long text of error CS084 states:

"The key can only be extended, if there are no project definitions or WBS elements that are only identified with their external number by the key of the project editing mask."

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Edna Jin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Govind,

If you have projects already exists with DR, then system does not allow to change key length.

If not then system makes you to allow changes as you wish.

If key DR exists then you will be seeing two types of keys DR and DR1 (this is for your future projects) in your system.

One more thing, you can create new projects with DR1 and transfer plan and actual costs so talk to your CO consultants and then set the DLFL flag at project definition level. This could be very cumbersome and require lot of efforts from all concerned (inlcuding SD, MM, PP, CATS etc).

You better continue two types of keys in your system. Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Sudhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sudhakar,

Thanks for Your reply.

Actually, Projects are running with DR Project key ( DR-001,DR-002,DR-003......) , and we want start some project with Key EPC (EPC-001,EPC-002,EPC-003....)  along with DR. and as per your & Mr. Edna Jin replies that we can't increase length of key for coding if the Projects with 2 key lengths already exist. so Sir, how can I use both key for our Projects with a same time.

Thanks & Regards

Govind

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you and others mentioned, this is how system behave and better you try to adjust the requirement matching to the restriction. Try to convince your business to settle for EC-001, EC-002 or EP-001, EP-002 or any other name with 2 Key.

Ensure to check the 'Edit' in OPSK so that only coded project numbers will be used for creating the project.

Reg/ Tony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Key DR and EPC seems to be different and you can have it also.

Regards,

Sudhakar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for replied.

Discussion Closed.

Regards

Govind