Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check in failed : cause: Communication error [cause: Read timed out]]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are using NWDS 7.3.

Recently i am facing a strange issue.

Though I can deploy changes to custom DCs from nwds with ease I cannot checkin my activities due to the following error :

FAILED: CHECKIN on activity act_w_ZSDevTk2_zs2_2e_com_ZSSCA2_dev_inactive_u_nwdi_cmsadm_t_2012_08_07_13_23_35_GMT_1876a6e3-e093-11e1-90d6-444553544200 failed : :Failed to execute operations. macro execution failed [cause: Communication error [cause: Read timed out]] at09:07:06.488

I have tried several times, but to no effect.

Please Help !!!

Thanks in advance,

Sattam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sattam,

I've experienced a similar problem whilst working remotely from a customer over a less than adequate connection.  We had a CAF DC that was quite large and hence the check-in would fail after about 10minutes, simply because it was taking too long to upload from the local NWDS into the NWDI.

Do you get this error straight away or is it after a length of time?

How big is the DC you are trying to check in?

Are you working remotely to the NWDI server?

It would be good to rule out the simple stuff like this first.  Of course, if you are at the same location as your NWDI instance and sharing the same network, it may be unlikely to be this sort of problem but it's worth checking.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

You are absolutely correct !!

I AM at a remote location and the problem started since I came here.

My DC is pretty large, and I get the time out error approximately 15 mins after I try to check in, towards the end of check in.

How did it get resolved in your case ??

Thanks in advance,

Sattam.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sattam,

That's good news - at least it is an easy problem to explain.  Of course, fixing it might be more difficult...

For me, the resolution was a long investigation (by network guys at my company and our customer) into why the connection between our network and our customer's was struggling - I don't know what the specific fix was but it basically revolved around improving the connection bandwidth.  Once that was done, the problem went away.

I guess you first need to find out if there is a way you can improve the connection from your current place of work.

Sorry that isn't a better answer!

Gareth.

p.s. What I didn't investigate (as it was apparent early on that we had a network issue that should be fixed) is whether it is possible to increase a timeout setting somewhere in the NWDI system, to try and avoid this issue.  That might be an alternative line of investigation for you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Gareth.

At least now I know that nothing's wrong with my NWDS. This thought was killing me as in no way I can revert the activity and rework !!

I will be back to server location in a couple of weeks. Hopefully all will be fine then.

In the meantime I can try to find if any time out setting on NWDI can aid me.

Thanks again,

Sattam.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sattam,

Please check your NWDS connections to the DTR and SLD.  Also, check the connection between NWDI and the SLD.

Hope it helps.

Dao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dao,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

NWDS is properly connected to DTR and SLD (at least I can see the earlier checked in activities in the Transport View, is there anything else I need to check??)

How to test the connection between SLD and NWDI??

We are using Protal 7.3 with EHP5.

Thanking again,

Sattam.

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sattam,

What are the versions of your NWDI, NWDS? Did you sucessfully log into the DTR when you opened up NWDS? Are you able to checkout another DC? Is it possible to re-start your NWDI (and check if it updates the SLD properly)? Did you change the password of user 'NWDI_CMSADM' recently?

Dao