cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery of SAP System with older database software as before

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello MaxDB Gurus,

i have a problem again. I have to do an EHP Upgrade of our productive system from ERP 6.0  to EHP6. Last month i did the same thing with our development system and everything is fine. But now there a some other difficulties.

Ive made the MaxDB database update to 7.9.0.14 last week, because i thought i have to start in some days. But now my boss wants to use new Hardware for production system because it is very old. For the new Installation in want to use the backup and restore method.

The problem is that there is no MaxDB 7.9 installation CD and besides it wouldnt work with ERP 6.0 without EHP. The newest version i can get is 7.8.01.14.

Do you think there are any difficulties to restore the database, because the version before is newer than the version after installation? Is it possible that the installation fails?

What options can you give me to resolve the problem? Is it possbile to downgrade to MaxDB 7.6?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please review SAP note:

1014782   FAQ: MaxDB system copy

1. As you saw in the SAP note:

129352    Homogeneous system copy with MaxDB (SAP DB)

"As of MaxDB Version 7.5, backups can also be imported into target systems in which a higher MaxDB version is running. "

Homogeneous database copy using backup/restore from source database version 7.9.0.14 to  target DB version 7.8.01.14 is NOT supported.

2. You could install target system then update to 7.9.0.14 or higher and follow the steps from SAP note 129352, if  the processors in the two systems (target system and source system) use the same byte sorting (little endian ->  little endian; big endian -> big endian).

3. If

** the processors in the two systems (target system and sourcesystem) do NOT use the same byte sorting (little endian -> big endian; big endian -> little endian).

OR

** You could NOT update the target database to version to 7.9.0.14 or higher

=>

It is a heterogeneous system copy. See SAP note 1014782 for additional info.

3.  As SAP customer you could create SAP message & get SAP support.

Regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you.

Yes i will do a heterogeneous system copy with the database export/import. Now i can immediately change OS from SLES 10 to SLES11.

Now i have another problem:

I tried to started the export from installation master dvd. In one step i`ve made a mistake and go back to the last screen. The sapinst tool crashes. When i restart the i got the last screen which i had before. Everytime i click on "back" it crashes.

Now i want to reset sapinst but i cant find the tool. I know on windows there is the newinst.bat in sapinst_instdir. But on my SLES 11 machine i can`t find the tool. It does not exist on all of our linux servers. I tried to delete the sapinst_instdir folder and the other temporary sapinst folders an start sapinst new. But it resume on the same screen as before?

Do you have any idea how to reset the sapinst in SLES 11?

Answers (0)