cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary/Permanent License

monika_eggers
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Not sure if this is the right forum, it's difficult to figure out.

I get this error on a NetWeaver Java server when pressent the temporary license button:

There is no permanent license key for "J2EE-Engine_ADA" in the system and there has never been a successful check on a permanent license key for "J2EE-Engine_ADA". A temporary license key cannot be installed.

Which is only a minor issue, I just go and create the permanent license. (Okay, it's a bit of a nuisance, as one has to start the server, basically watch it for 20 minutes to finally go from yellow to green, a point in time which one certainly misses, then creating the license on the SMP

takes a few minutes, waiting for the mail takes a few minutes, and by then the 30 minutes are over and one has to restart the server and wait 20 more minutes for it to go up completely to apply the license.)

But the question is: Why is it saying that the permanent license key has never been checked successfully? The system had a permanent license key before. (The hardware key changed when moving servers (VMs) around, which we do quite a lot in dev/test/demo.) What exactly is meant by this "check" and how can we trigger it so that in the future this error will not appear and temporary license are possible?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

csaba_goetz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Monika,

There was a problem with temporary license key previously. The error message "There is no permanent license key for " is quite exact. What is the status now? Does the system have a permanent license?

You can get more information about the license(s) of system using these commands:

/sapmnt/<SID>/exe/saplikey pf=/sapmnt/<SID>/profile/<instance profile> -get

/sapmnt/<SID>/exe/saplikey pf=/sapmnt/<SID>/profile/<instance profile> -show

Attach their outcome and dev_ms as well here and I'll check if everything is OK now.

Btw. you can install a license on OS level, too, with command:

/sapmnt/<SID>/exe/saplikey pf=/sapmnt/<SID>/profile/<instance profile> -temp <product> trace=2

where <product> is J2EE-Engine_ADA. This will write a trace named dev_likey in the current folder and it could help further with troubleshooting in problematic cases.

Best regards,

Adam Csaba Goetz

monika_eggers
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, I had no problem adding the permanent license. (I just had to restart and wait twice.)

The question is why does it say that "there has never been a successful check on a permanent license key" even though there was a permanent license key before? What's this "check", how can we execute it?

csaba_goetz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Monika,

Please attach the outcome of above-mentioned commands and dev_likey as well. Those need to be checked first in the current situation.

Best regards,

Adam

monika_eggers
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The paths seem to be not completely right, but I found a saplikey.exe elsewhere ... but I don't get results:

>C:\usr\sap\CE1\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64\saplikey.exe pf=C:\usr\sap\CE1\
SYS\profile\CE1_J00_ILBNKCE1 -get
saplikey: failed to connect to the database.

>C:\usr\sap\CE1\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64\saplikey.exe pf=C:\usr\sap\CE1\
SYS\profile\CE1_J00_ILBNKCE1 -show
saplikey: failed to connect to the database.

csaba_goetz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Monika,

The saplikey and profile path sent by me is valid only for UNIX based systems. for Windows the syntax is the same, only the path is different. You find the right path, so this is okay until now. Did you run the commands with ce1adm? If no, login with ce1adm and repeat them. If yes, add trace=2 option to the commands, repeat and attach dev_likey.

Adam

monika_eggers
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ah, so my paths are different because I have Windows.

I had executed it as ce1adm.

I have now executed it again with trace=2. Find attached the dev_likey file.

csaba_goetz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Monika,

saplikey cannot connect to the database, the error is

"

-> checkEnvironment(con_hdl=0)

-> connect()

INFO : SQLOPT= -I 0 -t 0 -S SAPR3

Try to connect (DEFAULT) on connection 0 ...

*** ERROR => Connect to database failed, rc = -10757 (XUSER error (incorrect USER data owner))

"

This error could relevant not only in this particular case for saplikey but also in other situations. Check and correct the xuser entry as per note 39439. Refer also to Creating or Changing XUSER entries.

Adam

monika_eggers
Active Participant
0 Kudos

By the way, is it possible to determine the hardware key when the system is down?

csaba_goetz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Monica,

Yes it is, with command 'saplicense -get'. This has to work even if system is down.

Best regards,

Adam

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
monika_eggers
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ratnajit Dey wrote:

I suggest you have a look at the following document

https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000287712009.pdf

Interesting. That says for Java and a hardware exchange (which copying a VM basically is on a technical level) it is not possible to generate temporary keys at all.

Oh well, the all the other things I learned in this thread have been helpful enough to make it less painful 🙂 .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Monika,

Check if these notes contain some information for you :

Note 1349525 - Creating temporary licenses after swapping hardware

Note 1562079 - Temporary license overwrites valid permanent license

Thanks,

Ravi

monika_eggers
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Both these notes seem to be about ABAP systems only.