Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing Documents in SAP

former_member211591
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am developing a Document Management System using WebDynpro ABAP as GUI.

But I don't know where and how to store the documents. We want to be able to up/download (manage/edit) document (of all types e.g. *.xls*, *.doc*, *.txt, *.wav, *.jpg *.png ...).

(For now I am able to up/download documents (as XSTRING) to the application server cache.)

Now I have to decide how to store the data.

Which options do I have? And which solution would be the most efficient/cheap one for the customer?

Please provide me with a brief explanation (pros&cons) and a list of options to store documents using SAP.

I don't have enough experience regarding this issue, but I've got following ideas.

• How about storing documents in database tables?
    • Am I limited to a max. filesize?
    • Is it a bad idea to create db tables which some day will have many gigabytes of data?
  • My customer is currently not using DMS, but how about to use that?
    • Do I have to much configuration to do?
    • Does it cause extra costs to use DMS (license etc.?)
  • How about to use the MIME-repository to store documents?

Thanks a lot,

ismail

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hendrik_brandes
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ismail,

we have implemented a similar requirement using the MIME-repository. For this, we have done several steps:

• Create a new Namespace in the MIME-Repository. This was very tricky, because there are not really good tools for this. At least, I have changed the entries in the SWKF_APPL-Table.

• We have used the SWKF-functionality for storing data - so the only limitation was the database size. There are some function-modules which helps you to create, change, read and delete

folder and documents.

• We create a new MIME-Handler as ICF-Service. This was necessary for handling our own document-types, authorizations and so on.

Kind regards,

Hendrik

former_member211591
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik,

thanks for your answer.

What is the SWKF-functionality? I can't find any Functiongroup or -module with *SWKF*.

Thanks...

hendrik_brandes
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ismail,

sorry. I have changed to characters. Look at the package SKWF -> Knowledge Warehouse.

Kind regards,

Hendrik

kesavadas_thekkillath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you check the option "GOS" ?