cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQLserver 2008 DB installati​on on cluster with multiple SAP databases

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

If you have any idea about the following scenario then please provide your feedback/suggestion. actually we are going to setup a new ERP(3 system landscape) and BW (3 system landscape) on VMware(ESX hosts).

And in order to reduce the SQL server licenses cost, infrastructure team came up with an idea of installation of sql db instances on microsoft cluster. and in this case there will be two physical servers which will be installed as Active- Active mode in cluster and three instances will be created i.e one instance each for Dev environment, Quality & Production. it means with in one instance we can create two databases i.e. one for ERP Dev & another BW Dev. likewise for quality and production.

Thus my installation would become distributed installation since SAP CI will be installed on ESX hosts as virtual. I would like to know is it possible to install SAP in the above scenario.

Regards,

Dheeraj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Dheeraj

It is possible. just make sure to schedule database backups and other jobs in different time (for better performance)

Thanks and Regards

Khalid Bin Mohammed Al Abusani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dheeraj,

As already stated, this setup is possible but perhaps over complicated.

Is the plan to run all the Production databases on one physical node and then the DEV/QAS databases on the other? What happens if Production has a problem?

In the event of a node failure, I would ensure that one physical server has the capacity to run all SQL instances, or at least agree with the customer which databases can be shutdown in the event of performance related problems.

Another important thing to note is that backups, maintenance jobs and intensive SAP jobs are likely to run out of hours at the same time. You should either work out a schedule to distribute the load or ensure the hardware is capable.

Regards,
Nick

patelyogesh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, It is possible ... I worked in same installation before...

Yogesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I feel the above setup could be cumbersome from a maintenance perspective.

Also same instance holding two production databases is not really recommended.

Regards,

Srikishan