cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestone Concept in cProjects & PS Project.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Friends I have a question on the Milestone concept, its indeed a doubt. We can create Tasks in cProjects & we can map these Tasks to PS WBS's only.

Now, there is a Mile stone concept in PS(I just know a Brief Overview of PS Milestones), and these Milestones could be used for Milestone Billing, Milestone Trend Analysis and so on. But at the same time we also have a Milestone concept in the cPorjetcts. But this Milestone I can set for a Task. i.e. only a Task can be Mapped as a Milestone.

Now my doubt is,

1. Is there any common thing in between PS Milestone & cProjects Milestone Task?

2. How we can Map the PS Milestone & cProjects Milestone Task?!(Here one more additional doubt is, we have already Built the Milestone Task with the PS WBS element!!!?).

3. If suppose there is no common functionality between both but If we have a requirement to have a link between both of them, then how I can proceed for that?

Please share your things friends.

Rgrds,

Santhosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

May be others can correct me but to the extent we evaluated system, Milestone functionality in PPM is not much useful compared to PS. So for your 1st and 2nd query, I am sure its no and for 3rd query I am not sure about business need but its always advisable to have workaround / process change rather undertaking any custom solution.

Pramod

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

schneidertho
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh,

that is how I see the integration between cProjects and PS:

1) accounting integration: PS is solely used for capturing planned and actual costs (and you typically do not have networks). Milestones are not considered in accounting integration scenario.

2) object links: more or less they are purely used for information purpose, dates can be visualized in GANTT, attributes can be considered for evaluations

3) scenario described in note 1351411. It also considers milestones in PS. This scenario requires the portfolio management part of PPM. I have not used the specific scenario from the note before. And I believe if you want to bring together portfolio items, cProjects projects as well as PS projects, there are better ways in release 5.0 (which often lead to 1) again).

It is not 100% clear to me, what you want to achieve. Nevertheless a few thoughts:

4) if you want to use accounting integration combined with milestone billing in PS, I think the only option is a customer-specific enhancement (which somehow sets the milestone dates in PS)

5) if you want to do MTA in cProjects, you can take a look at http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLMCS/SAP+PPM+Consulting+Solutions (to my knowledge there is no standard MTA functionality in cProjects yet)

Hope that helps a bit.

Best regards

Thorsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thorsten,

Your reply is helpfull. Actually to be frank, as of know I have no requirement for the above scenario. But I was thinking about the same since too long. So I thot of sharing my doubt with all of you guys.

Hope your reply will help me out in getting cleared my doubts..

Rgrds,

santhosh