0 Kudos

Hi All,

Currently we are on

SAP Business Objects 4.0 SP 2 Patch 15

SQL Server 2008 R2

Operating system Windows

System Maintenance Activities

Monthly Activities

-Delete the cotents under the Local host folder in order to clear Tomcat Cache.
-Delete contents under the Data Folder in order to clear Web Intelligence Cache.
-Delete empty folders within File Store. Using Purne command

-Restart Tomcat , SIA

Weekly Activites

- Restart Tomcat , SIA

Can you please let me know, if their is any other activities.

Thanks,

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Under Monthly activities - none of them are required, outside FRS Prune.
I'd run prune only of repository diagnostic tool shows inconsistancies. So Repodiag tool run would be the monthly activity for me.

Weekly - there is normally no need to restart Tomcat and SIA.

The only required activity is regular synchronized Backup of CMS DB and FRS store.

Also, monitor /logging directory for size as even with no special tracing enabled it can grow over time too much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the information.

1)

In cluster environment with 4 Nodes, we have observed that 1 or 2 node which are having

Webi Processing server is going to starting mode.

We need to do manuval restart of the Webi Processing server. Due to this reason , we have schedule a Weekly Restart of SIA.

In our system, WEBI Report usage is more, and 50 WEBI Reports with OLAP connection are scheduled hourly.

2)

Backup is scheduled regularly for the CMS DB.

Recently we observed that the SQL Server Transaction Log File(.ldf) is increasing rapidly.

Currently it is 40 GB. we have increase the disk space.

can you please suggest.

3) Monitoring / Logging

Can you pease let me know, if these folders mentioned need to be observer for the size

Business objects Folder - Tomcat6 - Logs

Business objects Folder - SAP Businessobjects Enterprise XI 4.0  - Logging

Business objects Folder - SAP Businessobjects Enterprise XI 4.0  - Data   

Thanks,

Venkat

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Maybe analyze why and fine tune them as well. Manual restart is a workaround.

2. Search SAP notes for CMS DB tuning and follow Microsoft guidances on Transaction Log file maintenance.

3. Yes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

2. Search SAP notes for CMS DB tuning and follow Microsoft guidances on Transaction Log file maintenance.

Can you send me the note number. I was searching but couldn't find one.

Thanks,

Venkat

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. In cluster mood even we have 5 nodes and 25 webi reports but use of them is not like your company, but we never did restart on weekly basis. On monthly basis we have windows maintenance, so when it took place SIA and tomcat also restart will happen. For sure you need to drill down the issue and need find the solution.

How many webi`s are running for 50 reports hourly schedule?

Have you seen do it crossing number of connections, by default its 50 connections?

Are you using server groups, if not plan for it..it will help you to find while running which report webi getting into starting mode?

Recently for us due to windows wrong patching, we have seen webi getting into failed mode, then we did manual restart of windows and then we have never seen webi getting failed..so check for the windows patches and compatibility also

3. Regarding folder monitoring

unfortunatly SAP in BO do not provided folder level monitoring in built. as we can do complete Installation dir monitoring through alerts. But you can request your server team to keep an alert in folder level also( but not sure why you want folder level monitoring).

As we doing installation dir montiroing through BO and windows team... On weakly basis we will check logging dir and will keep logs for 1 week and delete rest...

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

1)

How many webi`s are running for 50 reports hourly schedule?

They are 50 Webi Reports underline 2 Bex queries with Filter criteria.

Have you seen do it crossing number of connections, by default its 50 connections?

1 OLAP Connection to BW Production system.

My Problem is from the CMC - Server - Webintelligence Processing server from Running state to Stopping State, it will not go to stopped mode

Thanks for you suggestion. I will check our windows Patch level.

3. Regarding folder monitoring

This is not Folder monitoring , but it is cleaning up the Folder in specific location.

we are also planning to keep the log as minimal , 1 week.

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I hope I conveyed the information in different way. You did not get my questions.

1. As you have mentioned there are 50 webi reports, so how many webi serves are running for 50 reports?

2. Each webi server can withstand 50 connections, if it reaches the nearest number(around 50) it goes to stopping mode automatically. In that case how many connections are you able to see in webi server metrics?

Do number of connections reach around 50 when you are able to see webi server in stopping mode?

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Denis,

As per your comment there is no need of any monthly maintenance. On daily basis i see .03GB  to 0.05GB disk size increase in my installation directory. we are making sure to delete logging directory in SAP BO XI4.0. Could you let us know what else can be deleted in installation directory.

Thanks

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Noting else comes to mind as far as dir monitoring is concerned.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

1. As you have mentioned there are 50 webi reports, so how many webi serves are running for 50 reports?

we are in cluster environment with 4 Nodes- 8 webi processing servers - 2 in each node

Most of the time we see in 1 - 2 nodes the webi processing server goes to stopping state.

2. Each webi server can withstand 50 connections, if it reaches the nearest number(around 50) it goes to stopping mode automatically. In that case how many connections are you able to see in webi server metrics?

All the WEBI Processing server in all the node are set to 50 for Max connection.

What is the max limit in the connection, so that we can increase this parameters.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have BOE 4.0 + tomcat. I am new to BOE 4.0 environment. Could some one please share the Backup & Restore strategy for BOE landscape.

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Some of the activities in our env.

Daily:

Monitoring BO servers running with optimal performance
Monitoring all DB services
Testing the availability of all Universe connections to respective Databases
Verifying Web application (CMC, Infoview, Custom Applications) availability
Monitoring day to day scheduled jobs  from  Instance Manager
Troubleshooting if any issues with Reports (Technical support to Users)
All BO users logins and Security checks (Who is accessing what) verification
Meeting with BO users to discuss supporting issues

Weekly:

Regular BO repository Maintenance like Cleaning Orphaned Connection/Universe/Documents
Scan / Repair and Compact to all repository errors and Domain testing

Fortnightly

Running Integrity Checks on all Universe to ensure through parsing (Syntax/Sematic Checking)
Discuss performance issues with DBA

Monthly:

Monitoring BO Licenses and Transfer issues

Also check the below

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1983657

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for information.

1. we are  good with daily activities because we also do it only basis.

2. Not sure about "

Cleaning Orphaned Connection/Universe/Documents

Scan / Repair and Compact to all repository errors and Domain testing" .. if we are using all universe, connections then why we need to clean it up?

3. Is there any particluar reason why we need to check "Monitoring BO Licenses and Transfer issues" on monthly basis.

Thanks

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

Cleaning-up old and unused connections -  You can Identify these inconsistencied with the the use of RDT(Repository diagnostic Tool).

Our existing environment very large so the licensing cost also so huge. We will be regularly checking this based on User activity. some of the reason for user inactivity are

1. User could have left the company

2.  User could have hesitate to logon to BOE and is only interested in getting their report in their Inbox.

Hope this helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manikandan,

Thanks for the information

As you mentioned that  their will be

Discuss performance issues with DBA -

Can you explain in more details about the performance issue discussion with DBA.

Currently we are not handling this activity in our system.

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

This is regarding the execution time of critical reports which we monitor time to time and do a trending on top of it. If we found any major deviation then we will be notify the same to DBA.

Regards,

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi .. do you have any monitoring template that you run manually for your BOE landscape health check?

If yes then could you please share.

Thanks