cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about J2EE adapter engine install on NetWeaver for GDS-MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are following the GDS 2.1 Master Guide ("SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management global data synchronization option 2.1" dated 6/30/2010) to install a distributed MDM-GDS environment.  We are installing both GDS and the MDM app on separate Windows 2008 R2 servers, with the MDM database (Oracle 11.2) on a Linux platform. GDS console is being deployed on NetWeaver CE 7.11. 

Our question is about the installation of the SAP NetWeaver Exchange Infrastructure Component J2EE Adapter Engine.  The master guide lists this as being the first step to perform after the install of NetWeaver CE (p 15 of the Master Guide).  However, this appears to be a whole new NetWeaver install, not just something that runs on top of the NetWeaver CE that we installed in the first step.  What do we need to do to get the J2EE adapter running with NetWeaver CE?  What is the installation procedure?  Does it get deployed on top of CE?  In parallel to it?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

The J2EE Adapter engine is the part of SAP Exchange Infrastructure (XI or PI) intallation. If you are implementing a GDS scenario, you will need SAP XI or PI for communication with the back end system and with the data pools.

If you don't have PI or XI installed,  you should install it and that would automatically install J2EE adapter engine also.

Also, these components namely XI, Adapter enginer or GDS  will be on top of same Netweaver CE.

For more information on standalone J2EE adapter egnine, see link below :

https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/instguidesNWPI71

>Plan and Install>Installation - Standalone EnginesAdapter Engine (Java EE) on <operating system> for SAP NetWeaver 7.11.

Moreover the  GDS repository has to unarchived on the same MDM server (therefore  MDM and GDS apps on two separate windows server doesnt sound correct)

I recommend you re-visiting the GDS 2.1 installation guide here:

https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000721197& > SAP MDM GDS 2.1> Installation Guide( Updated on 16 Dec,2011)

Let me know if you need more help

-Ashwin

former_member184682
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ashwin

I am a little confused when i look in the guides. Could you help with the below questions

1) Only in the case of "non-distributed portal mode" , I need to install a "non-central adapter engine". In all other cases PI is used and hence there would be no need to install another "non-central" adapter engine or XI adapter framework. Is this understanding correct?

2) What is the recommended configuration mode? I know it depends on the customer scenario, but in terms of scalability and dependencies during lifecycle management (eg support pack pages to the underlying PI or CE systems), which mode is preferable?

3) We cannot afford to have a seperate CE only for GDS. We need to use an existing NW 7.3 system (i see the latest MDM SP patch is supported on 7.3) . My worry is would this interfere with other applications running on the system say bpm applications? Would lifecycle management become tedious with this setup of GDS and BPM runnning on the same box?

Thanks

Chandrakanth

dan_pfingsten2
Participant
0 Kudos

Did you ever determine the answers to your questions?  We are encountering some of the same scenarios, any detailed feedback you have would for any/all of the questions above would be appreciated.