cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh report from Excel spreadsheet (Linux server)

marcelo_nunes
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've created a report by Web I Rich Client using an Excel spreadsheet as source.
The spreadsheet is in a directory on our Windows network.

The SAP BO server machine is Linux.

When I'm trying to refresh the report in BI Launch Pad an error message is displayed because the linux server "doesn´t see" the path where the spreadsheet is located.

Somebody could help me?

Thanks
Marcelo Nunes

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcelo,

Normally, you should not be able to refresh a report on Linux server based on an Excel spreadsheet, because.

• Microsoft Excel files are not a supported data source on Unix based Business Objects Enterprise servers 
  • please refer to the supported platforms documentation from SAP Service Marketplace

The only way to use the data from this Excel Spreadsheet is to export them to an Oracle database or any other database supported on Linux.

Regards,

Alain

marcelo_nunes
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm thinking work with an universe as work around.

I can create an universe based on an Excel spreadsheet, by ODBC.
Maybe put the excel file in linux server too.

I think that it's possible to configure an ODBC driver on Linux to work with Excel because there are this directory /BOXI40/sap_bobj/enterprise_xi40/dataAccess/connectionServer/drivers/lib64 on Linux instalation...

Someone could help me How to configure this?

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Marcelo,

if the product specification says that the method is not supported it is meaning that even though you are able to configure ODBC on Linux and pull the data, there is absolutely no guarantee that it will work. And if it works you may get unexpected errors or unpredicted results.

This other method you are trying to implement is not supported and you are going towards headaches and waste of time, please follow Alain's suggestions because he knows his business

THanks and regards,

Simone Caneparo

SCN Moderator

marcelo_nunes
Explorer
0 Kudos

Simone,

What do you tell me about Eric's response in this scn : http://scn.sap.com/thread/1623484 ?

Best Regards,

Marcelo Nunes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Marcelo,

This answer you quote is most likely inaccurate:

1- LocalSystem is generally a Windows account, which would not have access to network resource, which is what is suggested by the poster in that case.

2- By extension, the answer was provided around a Windows implementation of the servers, and not a Linux/Unix flavor.

As per the PAM of BI 4.0 SP04, I'm afraid you will see that this is not supported:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e05429d2-7697-2f10-92a4-c014bbafa...

Page 20, open the Semantic Layer datasources (Zip with excel spreadsheet) and open the sheet "Rel. Exposed Data Sources (SL)". Filter by Microsoft sources. There's a lot of red surrounding Excel when it comes to Linux/AIX/Solaris.

Only one yellow option which would be using UNV and JavaBean connection types before designing your report.

Even this goes under a very limited "Generic" supportability, as defined in the Glossary (same doc, last worksheet)

All in all, I'm afraid the advices given above should be followed as this is a risky implementation (if it works, it's good, but if it doesn't or you rely too much on it, you could end up in a tricky situation as described by Simone).

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, that was an old post and the user still was facing the problem.

I have made this clear in that post as well, so thanks for pointing that out

Answers (0)