Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile naming convention

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is a recomendation for Profile naming if our company only works at Role Level or otherwise i can put the default (T_*) naming proposed by SAP.

Thank you in advanced.

7 REPLIES 7

paula_w_arnold
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Sara

The preferred approach at most companies is to match the profile name to the first 10 characters of the Role Name.  This assist with easy visual identification of profiles to roles.

Cheers

Paula

0 Kudos

Hi Paula

Personally, I would not recommend using the first 10 characters of the role name ZABCEDFGetc as you have a fair chance of duplication and profile mismatch.

A client I worked at only used role names 10 characters long so so it would work for them - they used 10 characters to see the relationship between role and profile in SUIM reports more easily but the reports are better now.

Hi Sara

I think I read somewhere in SDN or the SAP portal that they recommend not renaming the profile name supplied but not 100% on that...

I've worked on client sites where they do change the profile if it's related to security roles but that's been the exception.

Cheers

David

0 Kudos

HI David

You are right-  that could happen.  I should have included the information that those that follow this approach have a naming convention for the first 10 to 12 characters of the role name so that duplication does not occur.  Thanks for catching that and pointing out that it could be an issue.  Would not want to send someone down a bad path.

Cheers

Paula

0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't see any benefits of renaming profiles. You are supposed to use roles only. Hence profiles are just some background thing that you don't have to care about. In my experience it's not preferred approach  at most companies.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sara,

Already your company going in the path of role assignment instead of Profile assignment. So why you worry about that.

Automatically whenever you create a role with authorization object it will generate like T_<role>nn, the number will get it from the number number range.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should only want to avoid collisions of profiles when transporting and prevent generation of new profiles for transported roles in target systems, which is best achieved via generation of the profile name and a clear transport route for roles. If the 1st and 3rd character of the SID solide or you have more than 1 source client, then reset the number range in table AGR_NUM_2 (or search for the same term in higher releases to influence the fixed values "T-<SID(1)><SID(3)>).

Everything else is the domain of people who do redundant work which adds no value, by maintaining the reserved profile names in their Excel files, which cannot be assigned via SU01 or BAPI import parameters anyway...

Not only Homer Simpson would say D'oh to changing the profile name  🙂

If you search for the name of the table mentioned above, you will find some interesting discussions.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sara,

There is no recommendation from SAP also to change the default profile name. You can leave it default number it is generated by the system.

Even changing the profile name does not help anywhere instead of increasing one mroe step in your work.

Thanks

Varun Jain